The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confuse on which light fixture to get for my 55gallon tank. i have regular standard light fixture single long 48'. i want to start a planted tank with my 7 anglefish. i already brought 80lbs substrate, 2217 canister filter, and drift wood. only thing i need to set up my tank is the light and plants. i want low light plant tank. anyone who can guided me to the right light fixture and low light plant.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If your current light uses a 54watt T5 just use that you will have a nice amount of light for this size tank; you may even find that you have to raise it up a little from the top if you want low light.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
welcome to the site and planted tanking.

can you provide more information on where you ultimately want to go plant wise?
types, rate of growth you will be happy with

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I do a lot of messing around with DIY and from lowest of the low to high tech tanking. Master of nothing but a feel for most of it.

T5HO hydroponics lights, Lowes, Home Depot shop lights and alternative filtration. Basically I assemble a variety of alternative products and gathered '****' for yet more water weed boxes all the time. So a poor man's alternative and tanks all over the house.

Just posted a light review in this thread on what I think the best value is currently.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/147560-72-odyssea-t5-ho-fixture-did.html

I feel like I get the best results with a bulb combination rather than a single bulb unit and have drifted that way with all my tanks but a few.

Take your time understanding lighting as it's the horses head with everything following that choice. Lighting will make or break you're tanking experience.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I agree with WKND and 2. With LED on the verge this isn't the time to buy an expensive T5HO fixture. The Odyssea is good enough, buying another T8 may work fine too.

Unless you are going high-tech, very high-light and need max efficiency from every bulb, go less expensive for now.

More info on your goals might shape recommendations some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.