The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Merry Christmas btw
I set up a 30 gallon cube a few weeks back. Last week I put some plants shrimp and snails in. I'll be putting fish in on the 5 th of Jan. I used florite soil medi from my 40 gallon as well as rocks and plants from the 40. The cube is low teck low light plants. I plan to put some fert tabs in the soil on the 5th. Should I dose before then? Or will the plants be okay until then?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hi everyone. Merry Christmas btw
I set up a 30 gallon cube a few weeks back. Last week I put some plants shrimp and snails in. I'll be putting fish in on the 5 th of Jan. I used florite soil medi from my 40 gallon as well as rocks and plants from the 40. The cube is low teck low light plants. I plan to put some fert tabs in the soil on the 5th. Should I dose before then? Or will the plants be okay until then?
Thanks
What plants do you have? (congratulations on setting up the cube!) I can appreciate your wanting to do everything you can for the tank.

Fert tabs (Root tabs) contain only trace elements. They are good for plants that use their roots to get what they need (except, I assume, ammonia. Sword plants are a good example of this.

For NPK ferts (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium) the trace elements just won't do it because it doesnt contain the NPKs.

In response to your questions, you can put Root tabs under plants that need them. The substrate rooted plants can benefit from them, but not stems. You could buy a small bottle of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive until you get the NPK.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
ATTENTION: I have only had a planted tank for six months.

I have shared what I think I know. I hope others will correct any mistakes.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Django I have mostly crypt and one anibus . I have flourish so ill give it a dose. Thanks again I appreciate tha help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts