The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So setting up my 40 gallon breeder high tech planted tank, I can’t decide whether to go with a in line atomizer or a co2 reactor. I’m doing a dark cycle now with the tank getting ready to add plants soon, and might want to make some changes. I have a diffuser in the tank now, but not a huge fan of seeing it in there.

For my filter I went with a fluval 407, packed with Seachem matrix, filter floss and purgian. I guess I’m just curious if this filter would be big enough for a reactor, and flow through my tank. I will be making my own reactor, as coming from Saltwater I have old media reactors from Bulk Reef Supply that would be perfect for the co2 reactor. Any help with letting me know what’s the best option for my tank would be, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
667 Posts
As a test, try bubbling CO2 directly into your Fluval intake. You may find this simple method to be enough for your needs. I used to bubble CO2 into my Eheim intake, and through the the green tubing I could see the bubbles dissolve before they reached the canister underneath.

If it isn’t, then a reactor would be the next step up. A reactor can dissolve more CO2.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
So setting up my 40 gallon breeder high tech planted tank, I can’t decide whether to go with a in line atomizer or a co2 reactor. I’m doing a dark cycle now with the tank getting ready to add plants soon, and might want to make some changes. I have a diffuser in the tank now, but not a huge fan of seeing it in there.

For my filter I went with a fluval 407, packed with Seachem matrix, filter floss and purgian. I guess I’m just curious if this filter would be big enough for a reactor, and flow through my tank. I will be making my own reactor, as coming from Saltwater I have old media reactors from Bulk Reef Supply that would be perfect for the co2 reactor. Any help with letting me know what’s the best option for my tank would be, thanks a lot.
One of the tanks I am currently running is a 40g cube. I am using an Eheim Pro 4, model 350 for the filter and I am running a Cerges reactor. The system works very well with minimal restriction on the filter. Also, FYI, when looking for a filter housing for the Cerges, pay attention to the inlet / outlet size of the housing. Larger inlet/outlets offer less restriction to the overall flow.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts

The 407 will run 383 gallons per hour according to the specs. BUT you take half of that as actual real world numbers. This means you will be doing around 4-5 times per hour turn over in your tank which is the lower end of optimal but still enough for a reactor with a bypass. If you build in the bypass it won't suck too much flow from your tank.

I would definitely dump the filter floss. If you put filter floss in a canister filter you will need to open it to clean it out every couple of weeks. If you just use sponge in that filter you can go 3 to 6 months between cleanings with no problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.