The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if I need to be using a GH booster. My instincts say no, but I'd like to make sure. I mix My RO to 16ppm CaSO4 and 8ppm MgSO4, 2:1. This puts me around 4dGH. Would I only use booster if my GH drops below 4dGH?

Oddly, my GH is a 5 this morning. I have no rocks, and pool filter sand substrate. I'm confused as to why it's rising?

Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Your RO mix is comparable to what I've seen others post and close to what I'm using. One good test would be putting new fish in the tank which is something I did last week. I was worried the water would be too soft relative to the LFS water. I floated the bags and started putting tank water in to get the fish used to their new water. The tank water is around 4 dGH like yours. The fish went into the tank after about 40 minutes. Everybody seems really happy. There is no apparent harm done to the fish. They're chasing each other around playfully.

Last month I put some Seiryu pebbles in my 20 gallon Eclipse 2 sump to see if they would affect the GH. My idea was that the Seiryu stone might keep the water at the same GH through the week. The experiment exceeded my expectations. The Seiryu increased GH 14 ppm in a week. I could vary this result by putting in different amounts of Seiryu pebbles. This seems like a good way to keep GH constant. I have read that plants use about 2 ppm Calcium a week so it would not take much Seiryu to replace that. I know 2 ppm plant Calcium uptake varies from tank to tank.

My conclusion is that I do not think it is necessary to suppliment Calcium after only one week between water changes. I had the same question you have and ran an experiment. Having said that, I am sure someone on here has a good reason for adding GH booster to their tank. I would like to hear about it. I'm still interested in learning about how to use and prepare RO water. My recipe is: 3/8 tsp Calcium Sulfate, 1/8 tsp Calcium Chloride, 1/4 tsp Magnesium Sulfate and 1/8 tsp Potassium Bicarbonate in 5 gallons of RO water. The compounds total 4.28 dGH and 1.02 dKH 19.66 mg/l Ca + 6.64 mg/l Mg, 2.96 Ca:1 Mg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your RO mix is comparable to what I've seen others post and close to what I'm using. One good test would be putting new fish in the tank which is something I did last week. I was worried the water would be too soft relative to the LFS water. I floated the bags and started putting tank water in to get the fish used to their new water. The tank water is around 4 dGH like yours. The fish went into the tank after about 40 minutes. Everybody seems really happy. There is no apparent harm done to the fish. They're chasing each other around playfully.

Last month I put some Seiryu pebbles in my 20 gallon Eclipse 2 sump to see if they would affect the GH. My idea was that the Seiryu stone might keep the water at the same GH through the week. The experiment exceeded my expectations. The Seiryu increased GH 14 ppm in a week. I could vary this result by putting in different amounts of Seiryu pebbles. This seems like a good way to keep GH constant. I have read that plants use about 2 ppm Calcium a week so it would not take much Seiryu to replace that. I know 2 ppm plant Calcium uptake varies from tank to tank.

My conclusion is that I do not think it is necessary to suppliment Calcium after only one week between water changes. I had the same question you have and ran an experiment. Having said that, I am sure someone on here has a good reason for adding GH booster to their tank. I would like to hear about it. I'm still interested in learning about how to use and prepare RO water. My recipe is: 3/8 tsp Calcium Sulfate, 1/8 tsp Calcium Chloride, 1/4 tsp Magnesium Sulfate and 1/8 tsp Potassium Bicarbonate in 5 gallons of RO water. The compounds total 4.28 dGH and 1.02 dKH 19.66 mg/l Ca + 6.64 mg/l Mg, 2.96 Ca:1 Mg
Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts