The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.8L DIY yeast generator with a nano glass diffuser in my 15 gal tank. Currently I'm debating on whether it's worth it to run an O2 airstone when the light is off. I've been hesitant to get a drop checker since I've read that it's hard for a DIY yeast generator to make too much CO2 that it becomes harmful to my fish. Anyway, what's the bottom of this? Yes or No?

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
In the rare cases that I remember reading here where someone 'gassed' their fish with DIY, they didn't have a proper mix that lasted for a couple of weeks.

The safest option is obviously to run an airstone, and I think it's hard for people in good conscience to recommend against it, but I think you are about to find out how hard it is to get good CO2 absorption, and how hard it will be to get small bubbles out of your nano-diffuser.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the rare cases that I remember reading here where someone 'gassed' their fish with DIY, they didn't have a proper mix that lasted for a couple of weeks.

The safest option is obviously to run an airstone, and I think it's hard for people in good conscience to recommend against it, but I think you are about to find out how hard it is to get good CO2 absorption, and how hard it will be to get small bubbles out of your nano-diffuser.
Define small? I'm getting a lot of mini bubbles that are less than 1mm in diameter from my diffuser. Also, another concern is running a an airstone during the non photo phase, will that cause the PH to rise since I'm driving out the CO2? Is the fluctuation great enough to cause harm to the fish?

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I have just heard of lots of problems from people with DIY where they don't get enough psi to push gas through the diffuser. If you're getting good bubbles out of it, then good job. Maybe you do have to worry about gassing your fish. :)

The airstone will drive out the CO2 slowly enough that you shouldn't have to worry about pH changes hurting your fish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just heard of lots of problems from people with DIY where they don't get enough psi to push gas through the diffuser. If you're getting good bubbles out of it, then good job. Maybe you do have to worry about gassing your fish. :)

The airstone will drive out the CO2 slowly enough that you shouldn't have to worry about pH changes hurting your fish.
I see. If I'm getting small bubbles from my diffuser, wouldn't that cause a good absorption of co2 in the water, thus making it harmful for the fish? And how long do you think I should run the airstone when the lights are off? I guess that depends on how much light i'm providing to my tank, but that's another subject.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts