The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
So I went into my aquarium shop today to get some Indian almond leaves for my tank... I’m off on holiday for a week, so needed something to feed my babies with.
Anyway I asked the guy how much affect it would have on my pH and he asked what my ph was. 5.9 .. he said that could spell disaster for my tank and that my plants would be struggling and my shrimp wouldn’t be able to make their shells properly. I told him I had fluval stratum substrate and 2 large pieces of drift wood. My kH is 0 and gH 5.. he said that I should put some sera stone in to increase my kH and stabilise my pH.... i have been concerned that my pH was a bit low.... I said that I thought adding kH would mean my soil wouldn’t last very long......... anyway I now own a piece of sera stone... I haven’t put it in yet..... I just don’t know what to do......
I’ve got about 50 crystals in their now... seem fine, berried and loads of babies.....
please help........ do I add the sera stone? About the size of a fist.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Checked my tank parameters.... set the tank up and it was at 5.5 pH. Over a year later, seems to still be about at 5.5 pH.

In the tank I have YKK and cherry shrimp, false amanos and maybe some true amanos, kuhli loaches, pygmy cories and a BN pleco. The YKK's have been in there for the longest, along with some false amanos? But all have been in there for weeks/months now and the YKK are breeding and it seems like everything else is thriving.

I don't have much in the way of plants... but only because the tank became *SO* overgrown with plants that I ended up practically stripping it and getting rid of a lot of the plants. Currently, I've got subwassertang in there that I nearly obliterated. That is, I got rid of most of it and only kept a little bit of it.... hardly anything. It is now consuming one corner of the tank and growing. I did have other plants but I took them out. I plan on reintroducing some.

At 5.9 pH? Not too much higher than my own! I think it'll be fine. Fine for your Caridina and fine for the plants! Helps to discourage the growth of harmful bacteria.

That said, acidic tanks *DO* tank longer to cycle, on average, than neutral or alkaline tanks do... but once it's cycled, it's good to go!

I didn't exactly 'cycle' mine.... at least not in the standard practice ways. Instead, I already had the tank set up with sand, RO water and GH/KH minerals. It was already cycled. I decided to switch over to active substrate so I took the sand and water out, replaced with the new substrate, refilled with RO water and GH minerals and called it good! Didn't even acclimate the shrimp to the new parameters... just stuck em right back in.... and I think I only lost a couple from doing that?

So unless you are seeing any issues.... You are FINE! You yourself already said you've got berried ladies and tons of babies! Do you really want to chance disrupting that?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for your advice... so hard when the guy in the aquarium shop bailed me up and started pulling apart what I thought I knew. Anyway he was trying to help and is really nice...
I think I’ll use the stone I bought in the garden somewhere 😀
Why spoil something that seems to be working well........

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I get it, I do!

I get the same treatment here in the USA! I hate it when I need to return something to a store and they want a water test.... This is too low, that's too low... you need to use this.... we'll make an exception... and it's like, how can I fake water parameters?

Tank is fine, I don't need to do anything with it! Not raising the pH, not raising the KH, the inhabitants are fine! And they want me to use a product that is likely to cause more harm than good...

If the stones are inert, they would be fine to use. If they are going to raise parameters, you don't need them.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
A pH of 6 and below all beneficial bacteria is inhibited. At a pH of 6.5 90% is inhibited. You may want to rethink that.
There are people keeping tanks with successful colonies below 5 pH.... I think I heard 4.5?

So I don't feel it is necessary to raise pH if the colonies are thriving at, or below, 6 pH and the tank remains cycled. No ammonia, nitrites and however nitrates the tank ends up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sooooo...
My ph is now 5.35 in the morning first thing... 5.6 in the evening...... no CO2 injection......
The shrimp look fine..... it’s gotta be my new use of ro water with no kH, (my drift wood and stratum)just reconstituted with gH.
Am I still ok? I feel like I should stop measuring the pH. I’ve been reading the 2 hour aquarist (along with anything else I can find, plus the advice from everyone on here... big thanks 🙏) and he’s saying just measure kH. KH is now undetectable in my tank. It used to be about 0.5 when I was using tap water with a kH of 2 to do my water changes.
Feeling nervous...........
Should I just leave it and see.... my new beautiful SSS crystals have just dropped about 10 shrimplets... I have at least 30 other crystal shrimplets in there. All eating well and looking fine.
Any advice would be gratefully received

·
Registered
174 Posts
Most of my aquarium disasters started with "The guy/girl at my LFS told me..." Most mean well but very few know about the specialties and speak from a basic tap water community tank. I concur with the concensus, don't add the stone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.