The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never encountered problems with tissue culture plants but I just consider myself lucky, I've heard that some plants have a more difficult time staying alive after being grown via tissue culture. I think it depends on the variety of plant is my guess

·
Registered
571 Posts
What varieties did you try? There are so many different species in TC now and they are all going to be different.

I've grown hairgrass using the dry start method that went well and two of three crypt species have been successful. Crypt parva was the failure and I blame how it was grown - it was all shoots and no roots and that's bad business for a rooted species that grows slowly. I still have some left that I'm optimistic will ultimately survive, but most failed to get going and ultimately I would have saved time and money if I had got multiple potted plants instead.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had started another thread and got no replies about trying Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba (dwarf baby tears) from a tissue culture. I killed it. The problem for me is it looked different than the other non TC dwarf baby tears I got, which have all done quite well. It had a chaotic root system, like no up or down. It was not clear how to plant it. Do I just stick the whole round patty into the substrate or do I try to separate out stems? ...

My weeping java moss from a tissue cup is also not doing well but that might be normal for java moss (which apparently browns at first and then comes back).

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have noticed over a 75% success rate from TC pots (over 70 pots used). The best results were seen when I broke them up into smaller chunks, so they are more spread out. Beyond that, the next challenge is actually planting them. If it is a new tank and you don't have fish yet, its a lot easier. The fish tend to uproot them and they dont appear to like being moved. If I have fish, I just float the TC for a week or few so the plantlets have decent enough roots to keep them down. Additionally, if you are getting them locally, I would check the health. If they look run down, they will probably die. If they look like a healthy mini version of the plant, I would guess the success rate is above 90%. They will often do better with co2, but that is not a requirement depending on the species. Lastly, they are easiest to plant in a new tank with dry substrate. This is not a requirement, but definitely makes things easier. If you plant them dry, mist the plants before planting them. Then every 10 minutes or so, depending on how big the tank is, remist them until you flood the tank. When flooding the tank, do so in a way to minimize agitation, can use a plate or plastic bag to prevent disturbing the substrate or TC plants.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've been think about this a lot and will share some of my working thoughts about tissue culture plants in planted tanks. Part of my master's degree involved growing TC plants, but I'm fairly new to planted tanks. Also, the basics of TC are not that hard, but there's a lot of nuance that you can only get through more experience/a higher degree than I have.

TC plants are generally more sensitive than those grown out of culture because they have been babied their whole life and may lack some protective secondary compounds or anatomical features because there was no need for them in TC. They have adapted to the environment they are in and are saving resources by not building up defenses it doesn't need. But when you suddenly change this environment, it's a shock. They are also tiny plants, so they have less stored resources at their disposal to handle new stress.

In DSM they can dry out more quickly or succumb to fungal issues - basically the same problems you run into with potted plants, but worse. Similarly when they are submerged, they are can fail for any reason that new plants fail. If you don't have the conditions to grow a particular plant from a pot, you aren't going to have better luck with a TC plant.

One issue that is unique to tissue culture plants is that their growth is regulated by plant hormones (or synthetic versions) that are added to the media. Please don't freak out just because I said "hormones" - this is a totally normal part of the process. I'm going to glaze over the details here, but different hormones promote different types of growth and getting them balanced is a bit of an art because there are big variations between species and even individuals. When the balance is wrong you can get all sorts of weirdness, such as the C. parva I described that were all shoots and no roots and the HC that @ahem talked about that didn't have a good idea of what was up and what was down. There are many different sort of abnormalities. As consumers, there's nothing we can do about this except to plant it as best we can and hope that it grows out of it. Some tough plants do and it's not a big deal, and others need to be carefully grown on different media types to create a plantlet with normal growth that is optimal for transitioning to the outside.

There are also TC cups where the plants are just in bad shape. The media isn't made to last forever, storage conditions can be dodgy, and cups can get contaminated. Anyone who knows anything about plants knows they shouldn't be yellow or brown or mushy.

There's one other issue that is hypothetical, but I feel it's worth mentioning. There are a lot of species available in TC cups and I wonder if they are all suited to be sold this way. Sometimes plants can be grown beautifully in TC, but just don't make the transition to ex vitro with a high success rate. I don't know if anything in the aquarium trade has that problem, but it seems possible.

I think TC plants could be a good way of saving money if they are successful, but I don't feel like it's easy to gauge the probability of success for most species. Carpeting plants may be the exception since TC and DSM have been used together for a while, but I have seen hardly any info on stem plants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.