The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
From the pics you posted in your other thread, I'm pretty sure it's all (or mostly) Cladophora algae.

It can be challenging to get rid of completely. Manually picking out what I can and pruning back affected leaves really heavily has been the only way I've gotten it under control, personally. I had some take over my 90gal once while I was on vacation. Don't think I ever got rid of all of it, just got it to the point that it wasn't killing my plants. :/

·
Registered
366 Posts
What kind of lights do you have? The stuff on the glosso looks to be staghorn or BBA. Everything else looks like hair algae.
LED lights. It's a low tech shrimp tank.

From the pics you posted in your other thread, I'm pretty sure it's all (or mostly) Cladophora algae.

It can be challenging to get rid of completely. Manually picking out what I can and pruning back affected leaves really heavily has been the only way I've gotten it under control, personally. I had some take over my 90gal once while I was on vacation. Don't think I ever got rid of all of it, just got it to the point that it wasn't killing my plants. :/
Are cladophoras the same as miss balls? Are they bad for a tank?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is definitely Cladophora. I hate to say this but I've encounter clado in my mosses and foreground carpeting plants before and the only way I was able to get rid if it all was by removing all my mosses and foreground plants and cutting back on ferts, lighting, and feeding. And even then I still find patches of it stuck to the substrate here and there from time to time. IMO clado is the worst algae to get rid of, in my experience anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
799 Posts
Dude, that is going to be a pain to remove. I say ditch the java moss and buy some new stuff thats clean. Or black your tank out. Shrimp wont like algaefix though that will work as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
No question that is clado. It is by far the worst and hardest algae to deal with. A blackout WILL NOT WORK, limiting ferts WILL NOT WORK, overdosing excel WILL NOT WORK, manual removal and hoping it will go away WILL NOT WORK. Clado grows like a very easy, very low light plant, and does not behave like a standard algae. What's good for your plants is good for your clado, what's bad for your clado is bad for your plants. It sucks.

IME there are two ways to deal with your problem. Ditch EVERYTHING in your tank, sterilize, boil, pressure wash, dip, and generally clean the bejeezus out of anything you will put back in and get totally new plants OR do the "one two punch whole tank treatment" as outlined in a thread with a strikingly similar title. Manually remove all the clado you can, dose with h2o2, overdose with excel, increase the co2, decrease the light, keep up with the ferts, and pray it doesnt come back.

Hands down the worst algae EVER.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
By the pic it looks like you have a lot of light. What LED light do you have? It sucks getting that stuff in with your moss. Once it is, it will always be it seems. You have to get used to removing big chucks of it to keep this stuff under control.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the pic it looks like you have a lot of light. What LED light do you have? It sucks getting that stuff in with your moss. Once it is, it will always be it seems. You have to get used to removing big chucks of it to keep this stuff under control.

It's the Archaea LED lights for a 10 gallon tank. This is a low tech tank which ferts or Co2 are not used. The lights are on 6 hours daily.

Do you think adding Amano shrimps will help?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts