The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I may be way out of line here and if i am please delet this.

I see so many people list "RAOKS" and add then add the types of plants and at the end you see something like 10.00 which includes the cost of shipping.

People this is NOT a RAOK. Instead more like a trick just to get you to look.

In a true RAOK you should only have to pay the cost of shipping and maybe a dollar or two for walking/driving to the post office.

Now there are a number of newbe's here that need true roaks and from time to time older members also get roaks. I really don't care who gets the RAOK as long as it is a ROAK and not a lure.

So please stop posting fake RAOKS just to draw attention to your add. ;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi

Just wanted to make it clear. Instead made my self feel like an A$$.

Just forget about it. Sorry.

·
Registered
558 Posts
$10

The math behind the price.
$8.10 for a priority flat rate box
.59 paypal fee,

That leaves a whole $1.31 to drive to and from post office. Sounds pretty kind to me. I will take a big wad of nice plants for that. Is there a less expensive way to do it?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
it is RAOK not ROAK. Anyways, if someone sells $60 of plants and says RAOK for $10. That is a random act of kindness if you ask me. Also RAOK is open to interpretation. Some people may offer RAOK's that are worth more than others, never the less it is still a RAOK. I would rather see higher priced RAOK's then someone trying to sell HM for some rediculous price(I wont name names). I RAOKed a 2x2 of fissidens for $4 shipped I think. But if someone said $7 shipped it would still be a RAOK since I precieve that is an acto of kindness.

Another thing I have noticed about RAOK's is that it is lowering the demand for other plants. WHy buy an expensive plant when you can wait around for a RAOK? This is an issue with supply and demand. When an item is offered for almost free, it is in higher demand than higher quality products in the same market. To give an example I am offering a 3"x3" patch of pellia for $11 shipped, I had to practically make it a RAOK to even get any interest in it. The funny thing is I gave them alot more than 3x3 because RAOK's have decreased the demand for paying even under the fair market price. IMHO RAOK's need to stop. Very soon I wont be offering any of plants for sale just because no one will want to cough up any dough for them. It is to much work for me to bag up everything just to give it all away for free. The time that it takes me, with my SUPER busy scheduale, it costs to much for me to give my pellia away. Even though $11 for a 3"x3" patch of pellia is a RAOK.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I may be way out of line here and if i am please delet this.

I see so many people list "ROAKS" and add then add the types of plants and at the end you see something like 10.00 which includes the cost of shipping.

People this is NOT a ROAK. Instead more like a trick just to get you to look.

In a true ROAK you should only have to pay the cost of shipping and maybe a dollar or two for walking/driving to the post office.

Now there are a number of newbe's here that need true roaks and from time to time older members also get roaks. I really don't care who gets the ROAK as long as it is a ROAK and not a lure.

So please stop posting fake ROAKS just to draw attention to your add. ;)
Will, i disagree.

many times I do a RAOK <may not label it that way> but I send 6 bags of plants, all different for 10 bucks..and that includes shipping. Trust me the time it takes to harvest, and bag, and label and build a box, print a shipping label and walk to the post office to send, all while paying for shipping.....IS a RAOK. I have to say, the only problem with RAOK's is that people get so de-sensitized that they become whiners because you can never do enough then. I have been fortunate in that the people I sell to have been very appreciative, but I see it all of the time....in fact I am in a thread of such a thing right now.
I can honestly say, for all of the plants I have sold, I am in no way in the black. I usually pay quite a lot for good, unusual specimens and sell for dirt cheap or give them away as freebies when sending someone something else, just so many can experience growing something different besides, say, wisteria. Look I hear you on your rant about "hidden charges" but I think I speak for everyone here, that when you ship someone a bunch of plants packaged, labeled, clean of algae, healthy and in a timely manner, 10 bucks is a RAOK~

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
it is RAOK not ROAK. Anyways, if someone sells $60 of plants and says RAOK for $10. That is a random act of kindness if you ask me. Also RAOK is open to interpretation. Some people may offer RAOK's that are worth more than others, never the less it is still a RAOK. I would rather see higher priced RAOK's then someone trying to sell HM for some rediculous price(I wont name names). I RAOKed a 2x2 of fissidens for $4 shipped I think. But if someone said $7 shipped it would still be a RAOK since I precieve that is an acto of kindness.

Another thing I have noticed about RAOK's is that it is lowering the demand for other plants. WHy buy an expensive plant when you can wait around for a RAOK? This is an issue with supply and demand. When an item is offered for almost free, it is in higher demand than higher quality products in the same market. To give an example I am offering a 3"x3" patch of pellia for $11 shipped, I had to practically make it a RAOK to even get any interest in it. The funny thing is I gave them alot more than 3x3 because RAOK's have decreased the demand for paying even under the fair market price. IMHO RAOK's need to stop. Very soon I wont be offering any of plants for sale just because no one will want to cough up any dough for them. It is to much work for me to bag up everything just to give it all away for free. The time that it takes me, with my SUPER busy scheduale, it costs to much for me to give my pellia away. Even though $11 for a 3"x3" patch of pellia is a RAOK.
Ry...iIpay full price for all of my plants. I buy from you, Bigstick, AaronT, Mike Momo and Craig mostly, and I know that many of your plants are rare, and sell done. I don't even respond to RAOK's because I think it is better left for people that are new to planted tanks and want to get started.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Will5 I don't think by mentioning tire of seeing RAOK when is not really a RAOK makes you An A$$. I think people need to be better inform on if they are receiving a kindness or just something in order to attract potential buyer. Regards, jC.

PS: I think this is a good thing you are doing.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Ry...iIpay full price for all of my plants. I buy from you, Bigstick, AaronT, Mike Momo and Craig mostly, and I know that many of your plants are rare, and sell done. I don't even respond to RAOK's because I think it is better left for people that are new to planted tanks and want to get started.
i dont think I ever sold you anything. But I curently have alot of pellia :)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
you sold me something the first week I was on here...
I have Pelia though :) got anything else?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will, i disagree.

many times I do a RAOK <may not label it that way> but I send 6 bags of plants, all different for 10 bucks..and that includes shipping. Trust me the time it takes to harvest, and bag, and label and build a box, print a shipping label and walk to the post office to send, all while paying for shipping.....IS a RAOK. I have to say, the only problem with RAOK's is that people get so de-sensitized that they become whiners because you can never do enough then. I have been fortunate in that the people I sell to have been very appreciative, but I see it all of the time....in fact I am in a thread of such a thing right now.
I can honestly say, for all of the plants I have sold, I am in no way in the black. I usually pay quite a lot for good, unusual specimens and sell for dirt cheap or give them away as freebies when sending someone something else, just so many can experience growing something different besides, say, wisteria. Look I hear you on your rant about "hidden charges" but I think I speak for everyone here, that when you ship someone a bunch of plants packaged, labeled, clean of algae, healthy and in a timely manner, 10 bucks is a RAOK~

I don't know about the rest of you but when i sell or do RAOK'S (sorry about the selling) I am in the tank cleaning / trimming anyways. So to me its work i have to do anyway and i love doing it. Why should i charge people for doing what i love and have to do anyway. Now that being said if someone ask me for a plant that i have and it is not my trim and cleaning day i would give the plant to the for the same price as i would if it was. Since my hand our always in the tank anyway i don't care. I mess with my tanks so often that i have nothing to do anyway and then makeup things just to do and tinker with it. Yes i have no life i know. :icon_redf :icon_bigg

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Will5 I don't think by mentioning tire of seeing RAOK when is not really a RAOK makes you An A$$. I think people need to be better inform on if they are receiving a kindness or just something in order to attract potential buyer. Regards, jC.

PS: I think this is a good thing you are doing.
as for it being a good thing, I have never even seen someone label something a RAOK and charging more than shipping anyways. I checked the example and when he didn't sell it, it was later set as a RAOK because he/she didn't want to just throw away the leftovers. That happens a lot, and I understand why....
I have to say I never have seen anyone on here do anything shady to call attention to their threads, I don't see bait and switches, i have only seen kind people doing good things for others on here. i doubt there is any mal-intent on anyone here. Please note...I along, with many others who sell plants, sell what we can, but if we have a little that didn't sell, and we would rather see it go to someone than go in the trash, we can go in and edit the original thread and transform the balance into a RAOK, and i don't see that as being a bad thing. I will say no more about this.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I dislike the RAOK because I believe it drives the price down on more common plants. RAOK's are equivalent to a welfare system, 60 - 80% of people will sit around and wait for free plants rather than paying for them. This hobby is like most hobbies, it costs money. It is neither unfair or "mean" to expect to be paid for plants that you have invested time, money, and energy into growing. You have to pay to play. There are plenty of free hobbies available if one desires.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I dislike the RAOK because I believe it drives the price down on more common plants. RAOK's are equivalent to a welfare system, 60 - 80% of people will sit around and wait for free plants rather than paying for them. This hobby is like most hobbies, it costs money. It is neither unfair or "mean" to expect to be paid for plants that you have invested time, money, and energy into growing. You have to pay to play. There are plenty of free hobbies available if one desires.
my exact feelings.

·
Registered
223 Posts
RAOK = gimmick to me. If a RAOK is what it takes to make you feel good, then something is amiss. Ask any real plant enthusiast--we spend hard earned money on our tanks (equipment, ferts), new and/or rare plants, electricity, and a lot of time. I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to pay up for the plants we've only spent money on to grow. I charge a flat rate $5 for shipping, which includes Paypal CC fees & the bit of gas to get to the Post Office. I do hope to make a little money to fill my CO2 bottle up and buy some ferts or more plants. Looking at what I charge, I think I should charge double, but I do this out of love, appreciation, and respect for the hobby. You want to perform a RAOK, then grow nice plants and keep them circulating as well.

I'll tell you one thing though, as a seller, I only sell the best clippings out of my tank, and I'll grow out the 'rough' looking stuff. The buyers that pay their hard-earned money should expect the best. That's just my opinion.

This RAOK stuff needs to stop. My AOK's aren't random. Depending on the plant, I almost always give more than I state, and often offer extras at no charge if I have them. RAOK's are not necessary and are only hurting this hobby. Feeling generous and have money to burn? Then help a newbie out with a wad of starter plants absolutely free. One of these days, they may pay you back. For the rest of us, expect to pay for plants.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I propose the ARAOK club A.K.A. the Anti Random Act of Kindness club. Ill start. All you have to do is Put "ARAOK stop the kindness" in your sig.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i see no point of the AROAK, part of being on this forum and many other is that you will meet kind people and from that it makes the hobby the more enjoyable. just my .02

1 - 20 of 180 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.