The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled up at least a 4x4 section of Hemianthus callitrichoides (dwarf baby tears), and a 2x2 marsilea quadrifolia (four leaf clover). I have the plants sitting in a bucket with a heater a air stones.

I was wanting to sell it on this forum but this is my first time doing so. Any good tips? A few questions as well.

Can i get usps flat rate shipping boxes at ups store?

Is shipping on thursday going to be ok? Noticed a lot of people only ship on mondays.

Heat packs, is 10 hour one good enough or should i find longer lasting ones?

Wet paper towels or wet newspaper?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
you can get usps boxes at post office but not ups

shipping on thursday is ok but mon-wed is preferred

you dont usually need heat packs but if you do it should last at least most of the time right? 48 hours atleast

wet paper towels

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks gojirador... should i leave the plants in the bucket until monday or go ahead and post it for sale.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You can get the flat rate boxes at the post office (not ups store, unless that was a typo) for free. NO bubble mailers unless the person specifically asks for them.
It could be okay to ship on a Thursday, provided that the other person lives close enough to you to get it on Saturday i.e. shipping to CA on a Thursday wouldn't be a good idea. You can go on the USPS website and create a fake package and see how long it would take to get to its destination.
But, yes, typically plants and livestock are shipped at the beginning of the week so that they aren't sitting in the post office over the weekend.
You will need a heat pack to last the duration of the trip as well, but not one that is going to cook the plants. I check the weather around here and where the plants are going to see if I even need a hot pack to begin with (i.e. shipping from here to FL would probably only need a 24 hour hot pack if it's cold here since it is warmer down there).
As far as packaging goes, check out this old thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71992

The big thing is to wring-out the paper towels when you package the plants. The humidity from the moist paper towels will be enough to keep the plants alive. If you wrap them in soaking wet paper towels (or send them in a bag of water), the water will most likely cook the plant if a heat pack is included (or if it's warm enough outside). Plus the bag could leak, making a mess.

You can go ahead and post a "For Sale" thread now, but be sure to state that you will ship at the beginning of next week, unless someone else is in-state, then shipping tomorrow would get the plants there by Saturday.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great read on the thread you linked me. Now what about pay pal do i have the payer pay threw gift or goods? Pay pal account is your email correct?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Goods. Gift purchases cannot be refunded in case of mishaps. There's a fee for any payment method anyways.

Your paypal account is the email you used to register.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what do you guys think about holding plants for 5 days in a bucket with aquarium water, heater and air stone with a 6500k cfl bulb on top?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
So what do you guys think about holding plants for 5 days in a bucket with aquarium water, heater and air stone with a 6500k cfl bulb on top?
I wouldn't do it with crypts. I would get the temp to 70-72 degrees to slowdown the metabolic rate.

Pretty much selling here is more about reputation than $$$.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't do it with crypts. I would get the temp to 70-72 degrees to slowdown the metabolic rate.

Pretty much selling here is more about reputation than $$$.
Yeah i was just wanted to get some good feed back started. I didn't want to them sitting that long but i didn't really think it out to well i needed the room for some plants coming in. I offered them really cheap and if they look ratty by the time i send them i was going to refund what he paid for the plants.

I couldn't find long lasting heat packs for shipping so who knows how this turn out.:icon_sad: On another note just got my first shipment in and the plants were kinda cold and still looked great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts