The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically i am now growing some hair grass in my nano tank and i intend to have it spread out like carpet. tank size is 3.1 gallon and lighting is 13watts. co2 is included as well as super-k

Those who has experience with hair grass, please give me some advise or tips anything i will have to do. thank you!!!:smile:

Does it grows faster if i trim it shorter?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. Break up your hairgrass into small pieces and plant them.
Then make sure to trim to help it spread faster. It will probably take 6-12 months to make a really good looking carpet, but it's worth waiting. Good luck!
That long even with co2, super k and soil? wow but i am leaving for foreign study soon, would not have the chance to witness this glorious moment. Does hair grass introduce hair algae like riccia do? or any type of algae?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
That long even with co2, super k and soil? wow but i am leaving for foreign study soon, would not have the chance to witness this glorious moment. Does hair grass introduce hair algae like riccia do? or any type of algae?
If you have too much lighting, or an imbalance of nutrients, you can get algae anywhere with any plants. Hairgrass doesn't need high light, mine is growing fine in medium-low light (see my 7.5g in my sig).

If you are looking for a quick carpet, this might not be the quickest plant.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The best advice I can give is plant a bunch of small "stems". Basically breaking up almost every couple of blades into a single plant. Your plants will spread out more quickly this way and you'll get a more denser carpet from the get go as a result. To give you an idea I got about 20-30 individual plants from a singe pot and I had 10 pots to start with in my 20g. It's a tedious process, but worth it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
im dry starting my tank (see link in my signature). i trimmed it down to about 1.5" tall two weeks ago, and last night I trimmed about another 1/2" off of it. this definitely helps encourage new runners and new sprouts. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The best advice I can give is plant a bunch of small "stems". Basically breaking up almost every couple of blades into a single plant. Your plants will spread out more quickly this way and you'll get a more denser carpet from the get go as a result. To give you an idea I got about 20-30 individual plants from a singe pot and I had 10 pots to start with in my 20g. It's a tedious process, but worth it.

that is basically what i did, been spending 3 hours to plant all of them into that small tank, but yes worth it as i heard this way the carpet will be even and spread faster :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im dry starting my tank (see link in my signature). i trimmed it down to about 1.5" tall two weeks ago, and last night I trimmed about another 1/2" off of it. this definitely helps encourage new runners and new sprouts. :)

I heard that dry start will enhance the growth of hairgrass, but when you fill up the water most of the hair grass will melt and die away as they are trying to change into submerge form, is that true?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I heard that dry start will enhance the growth of hairgrass, but when you fill up the water most of the hair grass will melt and die away as they are trying to change into submerge form, is that true?
Not really. Since the root system is established, the plants can handle being submersed just fine. I recently submerged my dry start and the hairgrass is now shooting up submerged runners.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts