The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some moss that I don't want in a tank anymore. But, I might use it in another tank. Any tips for growing it? Should I grow it emersed or in a container with some ei fertilized water? Also, I have various windows to grow it in. East, west, north, south facing windows. The east and south get the most sunlight while the north gets mainly ambient light. The west gets a few hours of direct light in the morning.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You can leave it anywhere and it'd grow...

For best growth, leave it on your E or S windows sitting in some dosed water. Remember to replace the water once a week. You can also supplement with any light fixture if you want faster growth.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dont bother with changing water and such use emersed growth in miracle grow that is waterlogged.
in 1.5 monthes my xmas moss went from this:

to this:

(full surface coverage and climbing up and out of the pot).
Sweet. I was thinking about doing it emersed in one of those humidity domes until I get my emersed setups going. I was afraid of sunlight causing algae in a jar of water.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
you can use the same jar you would have before, or a couple of them. add miracle grow (or similar soil), waterlog it, and press the moss ontop (any submergent growth moss left sticking up will likely dry out), place the lid ontop but dont seal it closed (for air exchange).

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I use tap water in a closed jar. I tried fertilized water and hair algae grew, maybe just because I put too much ferts or too much sunlight. The intent for moss jar is not to grow it but just keep it alive for me.
I had the same issue. I used old tank water after water changes (EI dosed tank) and now have hair algae on some of my mosses. Use only tap water and change it weekly. If you get hair algae, put a few drops of Excel in when doing a water change to help battle the hair algae

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I had the same issue. I used old tank water after water changes (EI dosed tank) and now have hair algae on some of my mosses. Use only tap water and change it weekly. If you get hair algae, put a few drops of Excel in when doing a water change to help battle the hair algae
In your particular case, the water from your EI dosed tank may be causing more problems than benefiting moss and might be better off just using tap which should contain trace elements. Moss doesnt take advantage of all these nutrients so the likely excess of PO4 is attributing to the algae to bloom within the moss.

To the OP, if you never seen algae infested Moss, it literally destroys it and makes it virtually impossible to clean without damaging the moss. I am experimenting with Ricca, fissidens, java and taiwan moss floating in tap water using miracle gro liquid plant fertilizer from Home depot at the moment. the formulation is 8-7-6. there's container of java on the side acting as a control group to see how much of a difference it makes. So far within 3 weeks, the container using miracle grow has grown dark green growth where the control container has smaller faint green growth.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
In your particular case, the water from your EI dosed tank may be causing more problems than benefiting moss and might be better off just using tap which should contain trace elements. Moss doesnt take advantage of all these nutrients so the likely excess of PO4 is attributing to the algae to bloom within the moss.
This I can totally agree with, which is why I switched over to using only tap water.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info. I might go with trying to grow moss both ways. I think I will probably go with ro water, which I always have on hand, and some tank water from a wc. I want to dilute my tank water since I dose ei very heavily, thinking maybe a 20:1 ratio or something like that. Probably be just a small capful. Also got some extra brand new aquasoil for growing emersed so there should be some nice ferts in there for that tub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts