The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anybody give me some tips for setting up a cherry shrimp tank? I'll probably be doing a 20 gallon long with just them in it, and loaded with crypts and amazon swords because a have a huge amount left over from another tank... but I plan on adding moss, too, since I've heard so much about them liking it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
They loss moss. Mine are always climbing around through my java moss and subwassertang. Make sure the tank is good and established before you put them in. They're tough but they like the biofilm build up to munch on. Be carful not to over feed either. I feed mine every 2 or 3 days some veggie sticks. If they don't move around much you are over feeding them. They get fat and lazy. Lol. Other than that you don't need much. Good luck and keep us posted. You'll be over run with shrimp in no time. Also, I only use sponge filters in my shrimp tanks. They like to pick of the filter too

·
Registered
625 Posts
stable water. you can treat them just about any way you want, just remember to maintain stable water.

·
Registered
727 Posts
apparently marimo. my shrimp are going crazy over the one in my tank at the moment. also minerals it'll help with their moltings either the mineral rock or the liquid minerals like mosura mineral up. also get wood and tie moss to it. they'll love it. also sponge filters are good because they'll provide a little extra filtration and also the shrimp will eat whatever stuff grows on it

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Buy from the folks at this forum. Most are hobbyists and have knowledge of their own stock they are selling...plus, you can usually get things cheaper here. ;)

Get yourself test kits for GH, KH, No3, No4

Also get a digital TDS pen and a digital PH pen.

You'll need these to maintain your tank and to find out what is going wrong If anything should happen unexpectedly. Shrimp in general, are a lot more sensitive than fish.

General guidelines:

Temp: 64-80°F
pH: 6.0-8.0
TDS: 80-400
KH: 0-10
GH: 6-14

People keep different params, but this seems to be a good starting point for ya.

Also be aware that many of us lost shrimp when we were beginning, and some of us who are experienced occasionally still do. If it should happen to you, you are not the only one. :)

Feel free to post and ask questions- especially if something seems off, or you want to improve on something. Believe me, there is no humiliation is wanting to solve a mystery or do better. The hardest part is swallowing pride. (At least it was for me when I was starting. LOL)

The trick is to not give up. You'll understand more as you go along and your pleasure of shrimping will increase.

I'm sure many more tips will come your way. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts