The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tiny Vivarium

697 8
I saw an DOOA advertisement in the latest AGA clippings magazine for a tiny glass jar with a light on top. Basically a tiny place to keep an aquatic plant in emersed conditions. Specifically, this guy:

I was somewhat entranced, but then significantly less so once I saw the price they wanted for that little light. Plus the light has a cord which has been removed for photography purposes.

I basically wanted to do something just like this, but not pay ADA prices.

Some searching on amazon turned up some tiny 'terrariums' and one of those generic plant or aquarium lights that comes attached to a wooden base.

When everything came in I took the base of the new terrarium out back and spray painted it gray (gray because that's what I had lying around). This is what that looked like:

Why do this? Well, I am pretty sure that given a long enough time the 'soil' area will eventually be covered in algae up against the glass, and I it will also be impossible to clean. So rather then live with that look, I can just make the base opaque right up front.

The specific terrarium I bought was not perfectly sealed on the lid. It had a very small hole in the top for ventilation. But I don't want ventilation, so I used a dab of silicone on a toothpick to fill that in.

After that it was a simple matter of filling the base with aquasoil type substrate and add a plant. I then added water until the base was full and tada. All done.

The plant of choice for this first one is Crypt Flamingo (because I had an extra one already). I found a temporary home for the whole thing, and we will see how it does! If it goes well, I actually have a second one of these things already and will likely try a buce in it.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6g office nano, 20g aio cube, 2 x 40g breeder community and 75g
908 Posts
Nice. I get adds for those ADA and DOOA things. The prices are just crazy. I did buy one of those aqueon 3g cubes with the light yesterday to do something like this. It was something like $25 on Chewy's Cyber Monday sale. I'm going to start adding little closed tertium/vivarium pieces to my office.

· Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

For those wondering if this actually works, the answer is yes.

A little hard to make out, but there are a couple of new leaves. The old leaves are definitely melting but that's hardly surprising, especially since this is a crypt. Pretty happy with how this thing is turning out. Obviously I added some terrestrial moss as well which also has failed to die. So huzzah!

· Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks good, as everything else I see you do. I do have a question though. How do you get gas exchange? Or is that not as sealed up at it looks?
Thanky!

There is no gasket so technically there is some leakage, but it must be extremely minimal (or so I assume). Truth is it doesn't need or want much exchange.

· Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm guessing that the day/night cycle of the plants intake/output of O2/CO2 is roughly balanced? Or is something else happening in there?
Well, truth be told I have no way of really measuring anything as far as gasses in that container. I am making guesses based on observing the plant a) not drying out, and b) continuing to grow.

My guess is that there is enough co2 in there/entering the container that it's able to grow. And certainly any increase in gases would surely vent as the container is not sealed, simply has a lid on it. Humidity is being maintained. You can see from the picture the humidity that formed on the inside. Plus the water level does not appreciably drop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts