The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I'm in the process of setting up a Fluval Spec III (2.5 gal) Walstad tank, using the filter section as a small non-lighted refugium for scuds, ostracods, etc. with dead leaves and twigs as the media. I thought it would be nice to try breeding a pair of Scarlet Badis with the refugium supplying food for the parents and babies. Has anyone tried a setup like this? Any success, suggestions,etc? I'd love to hear from you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't tried this, but I just set up a Spec III on my desk at work and the refugium sounds like a great idea. I have a few scarlet badis in my community tank, and I love 'em. Girls SB are hard to find. My LFS sold me several "pairs" but they were all just dominant (colorful) & submissive (washed-out) males.

A couple of notes from my time with scuds... once scuds dig into your gravel you've got them for good. I'd think in your setup, some of the tiny ones would do this. They live in the gravel & sand of my community tank, which is generally fine because they provide food, but also sort of annoying because I can no longer grow any mosses... they just ate and ate it 'til it was all gone. Any new moss I put in, disappears eventually.

I do like the refugium idea though... keep us posted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an inherited a Spec III that came with seed shrimp. I kept a betta in the tank temporarily and he got so fat, I didn't dare feed him. I know my little badis who loves to hunt would be thrilled to search and destroy these.

Not sure that I would go with scuds though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.