The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my shrimp tank I now have a thriving colony of some tiny little oval green ummmm bugs?, o rparasites ?? I have no idea they look like just small particles floating , until you really look and realize they are some kind of organism , anyone have any idea ???

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah maybe ,, they are like a 1/4 of the size of the head of a pin and are bright green , like a leaf

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
It could also be an aquatic mite. Are they round in appearance. They are probably nothing to worry about whatever they are.

Is the tank new? New setups often develop big populations of protozoans, small crustaceans and aquatic mites. These often decline over time as the aquarium fish eat them and conditions change.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

here are a couple of pics , they are all in a pile under that one plant , and then in the other pic they are all over that moss or whatever it is and swimming all around , oh and not a new tank its probably about 8 months old

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boy , I really need to clean that glass ;lol

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
That was gonna be my guess too from the photograph. Are seed shrimps the same thing as ostracods?

Again, they must be harmless. If anything their presence will just help you tank to function like a real miniature ecosystem and stay healthy. Do you have fish in the tank? They would be relished by small fish and fry.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NO fish in the tank , just shrimp and snails , I did however drop some cory eggs in that tank , hoping they hatch and live in there with no predators :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts