The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of making a DiY surface skimmer, and am looking for a 100+ gph submersible pump. Basically, the smallest pump I can find with at least 100gph. My plan is to build a small acrylic overflow weir to act as a surface skimmer.

I've tried all of the standalone surface skimmers I can find, and none of them are strong enough or efficient enough to do what I need them to do.

Does anyone know of a very tiny, submersible pump that has enough juice to push 100+ gph?

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's not so much for surface agitation as much as overall flow and gas exchange.
An airlift pump would give you that. If you used a U-shaped piece of tubing with one end attached to the airlift and the other to the weir, you could run the surface skimmer of that. If you want, I can give you tips about how to set up aa attractive, cheap, quiet and efficient airlift pump. IMO it's all you need. I have a single DIY airlift running my 55g for years (no weir).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An airlift pump would give you that. If you used a U-shaped piece of tubing with one end attached to the airlift and the other to the weir, you could run the surface skimmer of that. If you want, I can give you tips about how to set up aa attractive, cheap, quiet and efficient airlift pump. IMO it's all you need. I have a single DIY airlift running my 55g for years (no weir).
I think I might have another idea cooking. If you check my journal, I have a separate loop peeing my CO2 reactor and inline heater. I might be able to modify the intake, and build a weir overflow. The only question is measuring how much flow the pump is putting out, and then figuring out how to calculate the weir. Too much water flow, and it won't be an effective skimmer. Too little, and it will suck air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.