The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, long time lurker, first post.

I have a very cute tiny rimless 7 liter (approx. 1.8 gallons) nano tank that I want to plant and keep as low tech as possible at the same time. If I can get it down to no-tech - even better.

For substrate I plan to use a layer of generic potting soil capped with leftover aquarium gravel. The tank will have no heater, lighting will be provided by a 20W halogen desk lamp (will this be enough?). I prefer to have no filter as the tank will be on my desk and the less clutter in and around the tank, the better.

From my two other tanks I could steal various stems, pygmy chain swords, some hygrophila and vallisneria (although these may get too large) and a few floaters. Also have a pot of dwarf hairgrass I want to try and grow as a carpet.

I also plan to try the dry start method for this one.

What do you think, can I get away with having such a tiny planted tank without a filter (or any other kind of water movement) and a halogen light? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
559 Posts
i would imagine some sort of circulation would be beneficial for a tank of any size as it will help dissolve O2 in the water as well as expel other harmful gasses out. plus cyanobacteria love growing in areas of little circulation. i have a red sea nano filter for this very purpose for my 2.5, even though i dont need the filtration.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.