The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I have a 90g cycled tank with perfect water parameters. However, one of my angels has developed fin rot. I treated for several weeks with melafix and pimafix with marginal success. So I have elected to set up a quarantine tank and use kanoplex to treat the fin rot. I have placed a new sponge filter into my 90 gal tank for it to cycle. My question is how long does it take to cycle? Time is a concern as I don't want the fin rot to spread to the rest of my angels. It's a heavily planted tank so I don't want to dose with kanoplex out of concern for the plants and $ for 90 gal treatment as opposed to my 10 gal quarantine tank. Please advise.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
I would just tank something out of the other tank if you can and put it on, in, or near the filter inside. Or, i'm not sure of the treament requirements for water. But you could just take out tank water and use that. for one fish it will be okay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would just tank something out of the other tank if you can and put it on, in, or near the filter inside. Or, i'm not sure of the treament requirements for water. But you could just take out tank water and use that. for one fish it will be okay.
I don't have any lose items that are easily removable from the 90 gal. But I have done what you suggest once before and just used the tank water. I am just concerned that the healing process might take awhile, and it would become tedious to change water out for several weeks if the filter does not cycle. At any rate, maybe that's what I will do rather than Take a chance on waiting and have my other fish get sick. Thank you.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
I don't have any lose items that are easily removable from the 90 gal. But I have done what you suggest once before and just used the tank water. I am just concerned that the healing process might take awhile, and it would become tedious to change water out for several weeks if the filter does not cycle. At any rate, maybe that's what I will do rather than Take a chance on waiting and have my other fish get sick. Thank you.
So lets see.. quarantine tank.. no soil no plants..just one fish?
your only (or major) ammonia source is the angelfish.

That and adding mulm from the 90 should be enough really.

At least that is my guess,
Oh and what do you think your pH will be?
As long as it's slightly acidic you shouldn't need to worry too much about ammonia.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So lets see.. quarantine tank.. no soil no plants..just one fish?
your only (or major) ammonia source is the angelfish.
Yes. No soil. No plants. Just one 3" body diameter Angel. And my ph runs on the higher side, steady at 8.0
That and adding mulm from the 90 should be enough really.

At least that is my guess,
Oh and what do you think your pH will be?
As long as it's slightly acidic you shouldn't need to worry too much about ammonia.
Sorry I just joined this site. I should have replied here. No soil, no plants mans 1 medium sized Angel. The ph runs steady on the basic side at 8.0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.