The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi allthis plant in my 75L tank is getting to big now.
how short can i trim it as i don,t won,t to kill cos i cut to much off:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
It looks like needle leaf java fern. The best way to thin it out is to cut the rhizome which is the long structure where the leaves come out of.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You could pull the plant out of the tank and cut the rhizome up and replant in a million bits. It actually looks like part narrow leaved java fern and part trident java fern to me, if so then you could separate the two and grow nice bunches of each. Both are terrific plants. Trident grows smaller and is the divided fronds. Narrow leaf can grow fronds up to about a foot long and is very graceful looking.

You could pull the plant out of the tank, look carefully at it to decide if it can be cut in two and still have a nicely shaped plant, cut those rhizomes then replant.

You could take out the damaged older fronds. I just did that to my Bolbitis and it is half the size it was before. I thought it might be bare in spots treating it like that but apparently the rhizomes are growing every which way and it looks just fine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like needle leaf java fern. The best way to thin it out is to cut the rhizome which is the long structure where the leaves come out of.
is it best to cut all the leaves or leave some of the little ones alone?
don,t wont it to die if i cut to much off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could pull the plant out of the tank and cut the rhizome up and replant in a million bits. It actually looks like part narrow leaved java fern and part trident java fern to me, if so then you could separate the two and grow nice bunches of each. Both are terrific plants. Trident grows smaller and is the divided fronds. Narrow leaf can grow fronds up to about a foot long and is very graceful looking.

You could pull the plant out of the tank, look carefully at it to decide if it can be cut in two and still have a nicely shaped plant, cut those rhizomes then replant.

You could take out the damaged older fronds. I just did that to my Bolbitis and it is half the size it was before. I thought it might be bare in spots treating it like that but apparently the rhizomes are growing every which way and it looks just fine.
hi,it is a trident java fern and its got way to big for my tank and is restricting the water flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts