The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am noticing some dying off of my CRS, after I did a water change. I checked parameters, and am through the roof on KH (6). To me this seemed rediculous, so I started searching a little deeper on what is happening. Turns out that my RODI unit is throwing water out at a KH of 10!!!

Time to replace the media? Any other thoughts as to why it is throwing such high numbers?

·
Registered
354 Posts
3 things can fail on an RO unit.
1. the RO filter itself
2. The shut off valve. It can leak input water to the output side
3. If you have a permeate pump on it, that too can leak input to output.

Also, with a permeate pump, you can get TDS creep.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a pump on it. I have had it 3 years or so. Just used it for a year making water for my saltwater tank. I tore down my saltwater tank in late 2011. Since them has been sitting, unused.

Just ordered new media from BRS for it. Anything else I can try till I get the replacements?

As for the shrimp, any other suggestions than the big 5 gallon water containers sold in stores?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did you order a membrane?
I don't have a pump on it. I have had it 3 years or so. Just used it for a year making water for my saltwater tank. I tore down my saltwater tank in late 2011. Since them has been sitting, unused.

Just ordered new media from BRS for it. Anything else I can try till I get the replacements?

As for the shrimp, any other suggestions than the big 5 gallon water containers sold in stores?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hmmm, do you have a pressure tank on the output? If not, you may not even have an on/off switch. So it may very well need a new membrane.

It's pretty easy to bypass the switch for a quick test.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not have a pressure tank on the output.

I ordered all new media, a membrane, and a membrane flush kit to try to preserve the membrane longer. I sure hope this fixes the high KH problem. If not, I will have to look to see what else I could do.

I will say this, if anyone needs a good site to order from, BRS has amazing customer service! I liked them when I was into saltwater, but how they helped me with the whole RO issue, was superb. No one else in costomer service has been so helpful, knowledgeable, and polite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.