The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had my tank going for a year now, I think I want to rescape this week.

A few questions which I’ll place at the bottom.

I’d like to go for a nice simple Iwagumi style, but the tank is only a 30L Nano cube. I’m sure I can make it work. Tank currently has multiple plants, stone & woods in, I think I’ll prefer a simpler scape, was even just thinking a few placed stones with a full carpet.

A couple of questions.

- I’d like to do this in a day with existing soil to avoid having to cycle again, I’d take all the livestock out & place in a bucket for the day with equipment, drain half the water, take all plants out, then mix the soil up thoroughly for all the debris to float out the soil, would this make sense to do? I’m trying to avoid cycling as I want to keep the same livestock.

- if I was to go with Monte Carlo as a carpet, is it a safe plant to stay rooted fairly quickly? I’m worried the fish may uproot it.

- another option is to buy a new tank, I’ve had my eye on the 70L scapers tank from Dernelle & dry start that, but then I’d still have to cycle that tank & I don’t have a spare filter or lighting unfortunately.

Any input appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
MC may give you some grief as a carpet, unless it's on a mat already it definitely won't just stay put and carpet in 1 day. A lot of people DSM for MC carpets and it's notorious for melting when taken from emersed to submerged. Having carpeting plants is a very slowly start and frustrating process.

Lol my cousin is "gifting" me a dennerle scapers 10 gallon start up kit and I'm probably going to dry start it. Too funny!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MC may give you some grief as a carpet, unless it's on a mat already it definitely won't just stay put and carpet in 1 day. A lot of people DSM for MC carpets and it's notorious for melting when taken from emersed to submerged. Having carpeting plants is a very slowly start and frustrating process.

Lol my cousin is "gifting" me a dennerle scapers 10 gallon start up kit and I'm probably going to dry start it. Too funny!!
I definitely want a full carpet, I have an area now fully carpeted but after 5 months I bought 2 fish whi decided to live underneath and burrow tunnels everywhere and it’s now all bumpy & loose, I’m having a browse for other carpeting plants that’ll be suitable.

Currently have Eleocharis mini & I mean it’s good & a thick carpet but it doesn’t appeal to me at all anymore, after something with a bit more viewing pleasure than something that resembles grass

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I definitely want a full carpet, I have an area now fully carpeted but after 5 months I bought 2 fish whi decided to live underneath and burrow tunnels everywhere and it’s now all bumpy & loose, I’m having a browse for other carpeting plants that’ll be suitable.

Currently have Eleocharis mini & I mean it’s good & a thick carpet but it doesn’t appeal to me at all anymore, after something with a bit more viewing pleasure than something that resembles grass

Are you running co2? Monte Carlo can technically grow without co2 but it doesn't grow very easily without it. It also wants at least medium light and really prefers high light if possible. Depending on your fish they could uproot any new plant. If reusing substrate I'd fill and drain the tank once or twice to get rid of the mulm buildup.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Isn't Glossostigma about the most available tiny plant? Or its rarer relative Elatine? Or grow a moss carpet?...Riccia maybe? Since that aquarium is such a small area those might work fine without actually rooting in the substrate- or needing one.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you running co2? Monte Carlo can technically grow without co2 but it doesn't grow very easily without it. It also wants at least medium light and really prefers high light if possible. Depending on your fish they could uproot any new plant. If reusing substrate I'd fill and drain the tank once or twice to get rid of the mulm buildup.
Yeah I run pressurised co2 via inline diffuser, I have decent lighting for the tank, fluval planted Nano, I have no worries about being able to grow it, it’s just whether it’ll root quickly, it’s only 2 fish I think will uproot, I have a Diamond Tetra who for some reason goes mental when feeding and darts around the entire tank & possibly still have a Kuhli Loach in there, I say possibly as he’s the one who’s dug an underground network of tunnels for himself

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Yeah I run pressurised co2 via inline diffuser, I have decent lighting for the tank, fluval planted Nano, I have no worries about being able to grow it, it’s just whether it’ll root quickly, it’s only 2 fish I think will uproot, I have a Diamond Tetra who for some reason goes mental when feeding and darts around the entire tank & possibly still have a Kuhli Loach in there, I say possibly as he’s the one who’s dug an underground network of tunnels for himself

Any plant will take a week or more to start to establish roots. Monte carlo is no exception. You can give it a go and see what happens but beyond that I don't think anyone is going be to be able to give you a definitive one way or another. Personally I rescape every few months for my smaller tank, basically whenever I get a bit bored of it. So I wouldn't hesitate to rescape if you want to try something new.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any plant will take a week or more to start to establish roots. Monte carlo is no exception. You can give it a go and see what happens but beyond that I don't think anyone is going be to be able to give you a definitive one way or another. Personally I rescape every few months for my smaller tank, basically whenever I get a bit bored of it. So I wouldn't hesitate to rescape if you want to try something new.
Went out to get some RO water & saw 4 pots of Monte Carlo which I can never find in stock anywhere so I bought them & did the rescape today, much simpler layout, going for perfect aquarium parameters rather than cluttered and aesthetically pleasing, will post some photos on my journal on here tomorrow when the lights go back on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.