The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a few tanks, one houses turtles, have been bare bottom for obvious reasons such as cleaning etc, have just added 20mm pebbles, but it’s hard to clean, used slate tiles before for a bit, just wondering if there’s any knowledge on types of tiles are best? Will still have live plants, but will effectively build boxes to house the live plants in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Some people on another forum do use large ceramic floor tiles instead of substrate but they found they needed to silicone ALL the joints between the tiles and tank glass or otherwise the debris and waste just gets caught in the cracks and spaces. It's a rather semi-permanent solution considering the work needed to remove the silicone if you change your mind.

Have you considered using pool filter sand (PFS) that is only an inch or so deep? It shouldn't trap too much debris and is relatively easy to vacuum with a siphon hose or if you have a Python substrate vacuum.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn’t be using silicone or anything to seal it personally, before when I used slate I left a gap of around 10mm at the back, impossible to see and meant I could remove the tiles and vacuumed weekly or when needed.

More so just curious to if anyone knows any negatives to using certain types of tiles, I previously just used natural slate tiles

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I wouldn’t be using silicone or anything to seal it personally, before when I used slate I left a gap of around 10mm at the back, impossible to see and meant I could remove the tiles and vacuumed weekly or when needed.

More so just curious to if anyone knows any negatives to using certain types of tiles, I previously just used natural slate tiles

Whatever you use it just needs to be inert, so anything ceramic or slate is fine. I don't think there is such a thing as limestone tiles... but if there is.. probably just skip those ;P

1 - 5 of 5 Posts