The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a school of Harlequins, about 20 and I would like to add another school of fish that school just as tight as they do. I wanted something small like pygmy or dainty cories but I was wondering if there are any cories or fish in particular that stay small and school somewhat tight.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've kept Julii Corys over the years in multiple setups. They will school together periodically, but spend much of their time scattered throughout the tank scavenging for food or just resting on the substrate during the day. My current group of Julii Corys also like doing the shuffle up and down the side of the tank with my Ottos.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thing is many schooling fish in an aquarium will often not school due to the lack of predation. They just get too comfortable so to speak - they have nothing to fear.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thing is many schooling fish in an aquarium will often not school due to the lack of predation. They just get too comfortable so to speak - they have nothing to fear.
That is when you crank up some heavy death metal music :angryfire and chase them around with your little green net... no doubt they'll school for a while after that :proud:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rummynose tetras school quite tightly, and tend to stay in the lower regions of the tnak (at least mine do). But I'm not sure if I'd call them tiny. Small, yes, but not tiny.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
My neons have adapted to bottom dwelling it is quite weird they eat my cory sticks however it may be due to the very large betta i have in the tank, although he is extremely docile, i'd go with cories especially the very tiny dwarfs that get to 1 inch, they school readily especially at night

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"tight bottom"
Haha, oops :p

Yea I think I might have a little problem with that. I had a 4" rainbow shark but it got too aggressive to it had to go :tongue:

That is when you crank up some heavy death metal music :angryfire and chase them around with your little green net... no doubt they'll school for a while after that :proud:
Haha, now wouldn't that be a site to see :D

Rummynose tetras school quite tightly, and tend to stay in the lower regions of the tnak (at least mine do). But I'm not sure if I'd call them tiny. Small, yes, but not tiny.
Does anyone else have Rummynoses schooling near the bottom? Since I've never seen this in videos.

My neons have adapted to bottom dwelling it is quite weird they eat my cory sticks however it may be due to the very large betta i have in the tank, although he is extremely docile, i'd go with cories especially the very tiny dwarfs that get to 1 inch, they school readily especially at night
Yea eventually I'll probably go with dainty or pygmy cories. They both look so alike! Might just to with the cheap one... Haha

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I've kept Julii Corys over the years in multiple setups. They will school together periodically, but spend much of their time scattered throughout the tank scavenging for food or just resting on the substrate during the day. My current group of Julii Corys also like doing the shuffle up and down the side of the tank with my Ottos.
Those are not dwarfs tho. Dwarfs do tend to stay in groups more.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My Rummynoses school near the middle. I have 9 skunk cories that school as well as the Rummynoses.

Nothings 100% but its close enough....sometimes there will be a couple stragglers. I enjoy watching them more than the tetras.

I have glowlights that stay near the bottom and don't school at all....

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
If you buy like 10 ottos they will actually school together if the tank is heavily planted and they feel comfortable. Plus they double ans a brown algae cleanup crew.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't know of any bottom dwellers that will school tightly - all the catfish and loaches I've kept have no problems spreading out - the fact is our tanks are safe, so they don't feel threatened once they get used to it, and our tanks are small - fish can be all over the tank and still within a comfortable distance from each other.

The only catfish I know that will really keep a tight group are glass cats, but they are mid-dwellers.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you buy like 10 ottos they will actually school together if the tank is heavily planted and they feel comfortable. Plus they double ans a brown algae cleanup crew.
I don't really have any brown algae in my tank. Or atleast I don't think I do. But I've never had any luck with otos. But after reading a few stories about them, I'm convinced to try them again :D

I don't know of any bottom dwellers that will school tightly - all the catfish and loaches I've kept have no problems spreading out - the fact is our tanks are safe, so they don't feel threatened once they get used to it, and our tanks are small - fish can be all over the tank and still within a comfortable distance from each other.

The only catfish I know that will really keep a tight group are glass cats, but they are mid-dwellers.

Yea I had clown loaches before but then they starting eating and nibbling on the newer leaves of ferns and anubias so they had to do.
I'll eventually go with pygmy or dainty cories.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts