The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hows the tank comming?

I have 25 cherry shrimp comming for mine. They should be here next week sometime.

This weekend I'm going to drill some holes lower in the filer chamber so it pulls water in from mid tank as well. I thought you had done that to yours but I couldn't find the post. Maybe I'm confused.

I have 7 chile rasboras in it now. They have been in there for a couple of weeks. All seams to be going well.

I'm also going to pick up some more low light plants for it today.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Quick update:

I am loving this tank/project! Very low maintenance - I have not done any fertilizing on this tank, only 50% weekly WC. The light is perfect for the plants I have in it.

My crypts are loving the dirt and have taken off and I'm seeing new growth and getting bushier.

Latest pics:

FTS:

Close up:

Algae is not a big issue, although I have some threads growing on the leaves closer to the light. A light brushing takes care of that.

Also, I noticed the other day a few baby MTS. I only added 5 a month ago, good to know they are prospering :)

I really would like to add RCS to this tank but my fear is the Platies and Guppies would make a quick snack of them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Very nice. I love my Evolve 8. My only mod was stuffing bio media in the pump chamber and cutting a piece of plastic mesh I got at Michael's and placing it across the filter intake as a screen to keep my Cherries out of there. Now that they're breeding I keep expecting to see a colony of babies living in the filter, but so far most of them seem to be staying in the tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The crypts in the front will literary block your field of vision. You won't be able to see the rest of your scape! Have you considered moving them to the ides and back of your hardscape?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The crypts in the front will literary block your field of vision. You won't be able to see the rest of your scape! Have you considered moving them to the ides and back of your hardscape?
I'm actually loving the jungle look with the crypts. It has covered the driftwood and I ended up removing it to give my stems some room to grow. I'm going to go with the overgrown look.

Algae has been almost non existent aside from a light brown dusting on the walls. I seem to have reached a balance as I've only been doing top offs and feeding the fish and everything is thriving :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tank looks great. I love mine. I also packed my filter with side with media and foam. Blocked the font off to keep the baby shrimp out. I did have a problem with the LED light. It started flickering. I sent Aquaeon an email and they sent me a new one with in a few days. They mistakenly sent me 2 new ones B^) Great tanks sand company.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Loving this tank! Good to see that the stock light can grow plants!

I have recently "discovered" the Evolve 8s. They are awesome.

PS Can I steal some of your filter mods?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Loving this tank! Good to see that the stock light can grow plants!

I have recently "discovered" the Evolve 8s. They are awesome.

PS Can I steal some of your filter mods?
Thanks!

Go for it with the mods! My current mod is a fluval foam for the 105/106 canisters and bought a sink rack from the dollar store cut to fit in that sump to hold the foam in place (it's already snug but doesn't hurt).

Will be adding a peace lily back there also as a planted riparium/filter.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts