The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiyas,

My new tiger tank has (white) river sand in it and my tap water is pH 8.0, tank is currently 8.2.

If I use RO water, will that bring my pH down without changing / adding a soil ?

I was thinking of adding a soil like Fluval Shrimp Stratum ?
What bout CaribSea Instant Aquarium - Moonlight Sand ? (Would that lower pH?) Or would I need a shrimp substrate ?

Basically, I want a lighter soil to see the colours in the tigers.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
tigers will pop on a dark substrate pretty well. i had mine on black sand and i saw them really well.

as for water if its 8 out of the tap what is it when it sits out for 24-48 hours? also what is the gh,kh, and tds that will have alot to do with the ph of the water

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tested cycling tank. It's been going for a week now.

GH is 6
KH erm, after 5 drops (turned green), after 6 (turned yellow) ?
TDS is 299

tigers will pop on a dark substrate pretty well. i had mine on black sand and i saw them really well.

as for water if its 8 out of the tap what is it when it sits out for 24-48 hours? also what is the gh,kh, and tds that will have alot to do with the ph of the water

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
what brand of sand are you using? is it possible for cichlids? i know some will buffer the ph up. i always go with pool filter sand because its really light in color and is inert so there is no buffering at all.

what are the parameters of your tap are they the same? are you using ro or just tap water?

i always had a higher tds with my tigers and they did fine. not quite 300 but around the 230-250 range. other than the ph a bit high they dont look bad really. i would let it run for a while and see how it levels out. what is the ph in the tank? and what decor do you have in the tank ie rocks or wood that might be affecting the parameters?

ideal tiger shrimp parameters are
ph: 7-7.4
gh: 6-10
kh: 4-8
tds: 100-180

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.