The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with keeping tiger shrimp in higher temperatures? The tank that I'm looking to put some in has a temp of 80-82 usually.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would Neocaridinas be better suited to higher temperatures?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So no shrimp does well in such temperatures then?

·
Registered
406 Posts
i thought the saluwesi (not sure the spelling ) does well in the eighties?
i really liked the red ones with the white spots and i was told they need high ph and high temps

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i have a question about the tank shrimp are going in. are there fish in there and thats why the temp is so high the fish need that heat? if so you would pretty much just be wasting money as shrimp will be nothing but hight dollar snacks.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking to place a chocolate gourami in the tank, as I lost my previous one after 7 days without power in Sandy's aftermath. I had my previous one for over 3 months and it was quite docile the whole time, even hesitating to attack live brine shrimp. I accept that any shrimplets might be eaten, but I'm pretty sure the adults would be safe.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
all fish are different so i would not do it if i were you. i would try ghost shrimp first if you must keep them together though. and gourami i dont think like it that hot really ive always kept mine in the mid 70's but yeah each fish has its own personality and so it is hard to tell if they would eat the shrimp or not

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Chocolate gouramis need 80 degree water? The only fish I know that needs water like that is the GBR, and that's only really if you want to breed.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, they're prone to infection and disease at lower temperatures, and they really do thrive in higher temperatures. A few months ago I had a heater malfunction and the water must have been 85 degrees or so (it actually felt warm to the touch), and the gourami was absolutely fine. But if Sulawesi shrimp are the only shrimp that tolerate temperatures in the low 80s then I guess I just won't have any shrimp in the tank due to the conflicting water parameters needed.

·
Registered
844 Posts
thanks all for the info....hopefully somone can also help me..

what is a good temp for tiger shrimp....most say keep at 70-78 F.

Last few days I been adjusting my heater down to at least 73 F ...the lights do heat it to about 75.8..... I drop down from 78.8F as i read u guys say it was too warm for them....

I been adjusting my aqueon heater to 72 on the dial but will have to go lower to 68 (lowest setting)...to drop to at 70-73 F.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
thanks all for the info....hopefully somone can also help me..

what is a good temp for tiger shrimp....most say keep at 70-78 F.

Last few days I been adjusting my heater down to at least 73 F ...the lights do heat it to about 75.8..... I drop down from 78.8F as i read u guys say it was too warm for them....

I been adjusting my aqueon heater to 72 on the dial but will have to go lower to 68 (lowest setting)...to drop to at 70-73 F.
Ditch the heater. Or keep it on for only part of the day.

·
Registered
618 Posts
So no shrimp does well in such temperatures then?
Neocaridina shrimp do just fine at 82F. I have a friend with a tank of Zebra plecos at 84F. I sold him some fire reds, and 6 months later he told me that he had about 300 shrimp.

I keep breeding tanks of Fire Reds at 82F, in order to speed up production.

Yellow neos, Orange neos, Fire Reds, Rilis, etc... all of these should do well in your tank.

Good luck!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ditch the heater. Or keep it on for only part of the day.
right now...my room temp is 64-65...

will they be fine in just room temp? because im also thinking about ditching the heater as i have rilli in 64-65 room temp adn they have been breed for my the last month...no heater in there

plus the lights do heat up the tank

1 - 20 of 25 Posts