The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just setup a 1 gallon tank with plants and tiger shrimps (20) and my substrate is aquasoil. I got a little filter pump.

1 day after seting up the tank i have 5 shrimps who become white / transparent and after die.

Do you think it is normal and because of the transport ? Should I put an air pump ? what would be the signs of air lack ? Which parameter should I check in the water ?

My water looks milky but I think it is because of the aquasoil and it become better

Thanks in advance

Best

Ke20

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Invertebrates are very sensitive to the ammonia/nitrite spike of a newly setup tank. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Just from your quick description I'd bet you have high ammonia and possibly high nitrite as well.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I suggest you remove the remaining shrimp as soon as you can. It is probably an ammonia spike from the Aquasoil that is causing the deaths. Cycle the tank for at least 4 weeks (6 weeks ideal in my book) before adding any fish or shrimp to it. You can speed up the process by doing daily water changes, but I wouldn't recommend this unless you really know what you're doing.

20 shrimp in one gallon..? Wow what a load. Smaller tanks are also more difficult to keep water parameters stable.

Oh, welcome to Planted Tank Forum! :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
I suggest you remove the remaining shrimp as soon as you can. It is probably an ammonia spike from the Aquasoil that is causing the deaths. Cycle the tank for at least 4 weeks (6 weeks ideal in my book) before adding any fish or shrimp to it. You can speed up the process by doing daily water changes, but I wouldn't recommend this unless you really know what you're doing.

20 shrimp in one gallon..? Wow what a load. Smaller tanks are also more difficult to keep water parameters stable.

Oh, welcome to Planted Tank Forum! :D
How can daily water changes speed up the process? Unless he keeps the shrimp (or something else) in there, daily water changes aren't needed. They would only dilute the remaining ammonia and slow down the process.

The only good way to speed up cycling is to borrow some filter media and/or gravel from an established tank. Those will already contain both kinds of bacteria he needs. Some have had luck (including me, during an emergency) using "bacteria in a bottle" (like Seachem's Stability), but from what I read that's more 'miss' than 'hit'.

·
Registered
801 Posts
How can daily water changes speed up the process? Unless he keeps the shrimp (or something else) in there, daily water changes aren't needed. They would only dilute the remaining ammonia and slow down the process.
Water changes would remove the water in the tank holding the ammonia. A tank was cycled in one week by Silane. http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565

True that he used water passed through old filter media to gain some beneficial bacteria , so simply doing water changes would not necessarily speed up the cycle and that's why I said I didn't recommend it unless you knew what you were doing. As I mentioned, I prefer the natural way by just letting a tank run 4-6 weeks to cycle itself (probably not an option at this point).

Yes, you can just buy Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter in a bottle and try that way. But hopefully you 'hit' instead of 'miss.'

·
Registered
334 Posts
having a bunch of plants sped up my cycle to about 10 days and i only changed the water every other day. 0 ammonia by the end of 2nd week.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Water changes would remove the water in the tank holding the ammonia. A tank was cycled in one week by Silane. http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565
OK, but I still maintain that all the water changes did was get rid of the excess ammonia being leeched out by the Aquasoil. Adding the filter squeezings on day 2.5 is what actually started the cycle.

{Edit: After re-reading your post I realize this is almost exactly what you said... ignore me...}

1 - 8 of 8 Posts