The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I picked up some tiger shrimp from the lfs the other month. They were a really deep blue and slight burgundy color. However, now they have lost all their blue. Any ideas?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Tank parameters: GH 8° KH4° pH 6.4 NO3~15 PO4~2 temp 76

I have both cherry shrimp and tiger shrimp in this tank. The Cherries are breeding like crazy, about 5 berried atm. Too soon to tell on the tigers, haven't even found a saddle on one yet.. hoping I don't have 9 males ha.

Here's a before and after pic, not 100% this is the same shrimp but, you get the idea. Sorry about the quality on the recent photo. Pretty drastic change.

I feed Omega One shrimp and lobster pellets solely. Would diversifying their diet help?

View attachment 811938

View attachment 811946

·
Registered
188 Posts
it can take longer than a month for tigers to start breeding, they need to settle in first, parameters are ok for tigers though

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'd start by lowering temps to 72-73 at the highest. Your pH is ideal for bees, not neos and tigers, so it may take them longer to adapt before you see any breeding. Finally, coloration is diet and calcium related. Even though your GH is 8, so you know how much is Ca?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really not sure what my Ca levels are exactly. My water is Ohio surface water, so likely around 30 ppm after lime softening. I guess I could take some samples into the lab and run them through the ICP-OES haha.

·
Registered
188 Posts
many shrimp exporters feed their shrimp with color enhancing food, so shrimp have more vibrant rich color, so they look more attractive for sale, but its only a temporary thing, when You start feeding shrimp ur regular food, colors fade with time, As I've seen on pictures, ur tigers had red hue, which is not common for tigers. regular tiger are clear with stripes, or have slightly bluish hue, unless You buy blue tigers or black. Your shrimp is probably just fine but they're getting back their natural colors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts