The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25ltr tank (5.5gal) that will house a betta.

I let the tank cycle for 1 month and after everything was set, I got 3 Black choco Shrimp & 4 Red Cherry Shrimp.
They've been in the tank for exactly one week and are doing great (cleaning my plants from algae, swimming around, molting, etc).

4 days ago, I noticed 4 tiny baby snails. They have been going up & down the tank walls and seem to be enjoying the white fungus that took over my driftwood. After seeing them doing well in my tank, I decided to get a larger mid-sized Tiger Nerite Snail to clean up the white fungus.

The problem is since I placed it in the tank it doesn't seem to be active at all.

From the research I did before getting it, I thought I would be chasing my snail around in my living room but this doesn't seem to be the case. It's been sitting on my driftwood (on the upper side of the tank, around mid and surface) and every time I get back home it seems to have moved 3-4 cm. At the same time fungus is still there, so I guess my little friend isn't moving much even when I'm gone.

All this time, my baby snails seem to never rest.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I wouldn't worry yet. Sometimes my tiger nerite would go inactive for days, even upside down. I flip it right side up and wait. If it has been more than 3 days I pull it out and give it a smell test. If it doesn't smell, I put it back. If it smells awful, its likely dead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes it takes a while for snails to adjust.

What are your water parameters? How do you know your tank is cycled? How did you "cycle" the tank?
Temp: 22-25 C°
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10
PH: 7

I started the cycle using ammonia I got from the drugstore.

My filter is a corner dennerle nano, with the extra biomedia case.

If it was the water. Wouldn't be the baby snails affected too?

Sent from my MI 8 Lite using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts