The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

It's been a while since I educated myself in the ways of the Tiger Lotus, so I'm a bit rusty...

Should I trim the runners or leave them be?

Something interesting to note - I only bought one from my LFS but somehow ended up with 5! I gifted two and am about to transplant one to my Pea Puffer / Shrimp tank.

Here's a pic of one of them...sorry the glass is a bit dirty. My Otos are apparently on strike.

By the rate it's been growing, I'm guessing I have about 25min to decide before it reaches the water line 馃槵
Water Plant Underwater Organism Terrestrial plant

Registered
If you let it get to the surface then that's all you'll get are surface leaves. I always trim mine once I can tell they're headed up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you let it get to the surface then that's all you'll get are surface leaves. I always trim mine once I can tell they're headed up.
I may be too late then. I'll cut it when I get home but it breached the surface this morning. You think I'm SOL?

Registered
It's not too late, just keep the surface leaves trimmed back. In my experience, whenever I've had these growing in a wide open spot where it's gotten plenty of light they've tended to stay bushier on the bottom. Anytime I've had it growing underneath something or where the light wasn't as good it tends to reach for the surface. Just provide it with root tabs and you're good.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not too late, just keep the surface leaves trimmed back. In my experience, whenever I've had these growing in a wide open spot where it's gotten plenty of light they've tended to stay bushier on the bottom. Anytime I've had it growing underneath something or where the light wasn't as good it tends to reach for the surface. Just provide it with root tabs and you're good.
Bet. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts