The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These 3 tiger lillies in my aquarium produced lot of leaves(they looked transparent) but melted eventually when they are small. But, alternanthera reineckii mini seems to grow fine in this aquarium. When these tiger lily arrived they did not have root bulb. They had roots like other plants and grew well initially.

My aquarium is 75 gallon and has the following.
Light: 1 plant growth t8 fluorescent, 1 full spectrum t8 fluorescent and 1 Current USA Satellite Freshwater.. They run 6 hours daily.
Substrate: Ecocomplete in bottom and TMS on top. I use Nilocg root tabs and seachem fertilizers.

Plant Botany Green Leaf Petal

·
Registered
400 Posts
Same here. My internet Tiger Lotus arrived with stem broken from the bulb..and the bulb rotted with the top plant doing just as yours..grow a bit,then die back...a few times before the leaves became tiny and the plant floated away to die off.
My second plant is from a bulb in perfect shape I got locally..and it's gone wild with fast.fast,growth.
My point being..you got a bad plant and should try again with a healthy Lotus. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whenever I ordered tiger lily online, I only got the stems broken from the bulb. Some of the plants are growing fine in my aquarium. Some plant are struggling like Ludwigia Natan Red(Keeps floating due to stem rot), Pogostemon Helferi(Stunted growth), dwarf hair grass(Stunted growth) and Tiger Lily...

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't why the "Don't bury the bulb" is given as growing advice. No plants grow bulbs 100% of the time exposed tops. It's why they have bulbs- they are protected from being eaten like carrots. Only the stem shouldn't be totally covered. Still,even that only needs the growing point out of the substrate.
I cant think of any bulb plant with all the bulb exposed in land or freshwaters is how it should be grown..some only tolerate it like Crinums. Bulbs store the plants starches.

Think about it. When Lotus and other Lily's make bulblets in the aquarium?..always totally under the substrate with leaves sprouting at ground level. You never see any bulb exposed...they have no chlorophyll,why would they?

·
Registered
400 Posts
It can be done..but its 100x slower and mine like yours never survived. If you have Co2 and the right lighting,the odds go up.
What I notice? If you have a Youtube channel and make an order? Oh,wow,you get huge healthy plants and they toss in "extra" hard to find plants for free.
If you don't have a youtube channel? You get plants that look like they were run over in the parking lot and then sent to you.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
I got one of these, it came in bad shape in the mail.

I left the bulb and eventually it started again, as long as they have nutrients they will restart. I actually clipped it twice and started two more plants with the bulb. But it broke off on the last one before it could pull nutrients through the roots of the new plant and it has been dormant since. It's still floating around in a tank though (mini pond actually).

So give it a few weeks, it may still resprout some roots and you can try again. This thing grows fast once it acclimates to you water parameters.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sure,as long as the bulb is firm- never toss it! I have had other Lilies- like that common brown one, make mini bulbs that grew and even plantlets with only roots..tiny and grew well. All that is normal from healthy plants. Its when you get a mail order..it gets tricky when the bulbs stem gets snapped off.
And Crinum? I saw a vid from Mexico of it growing wild. No bulb is seen..just fat stems and very long leaves in a stream.
Funny that so many aquarium plants are from moving water and less are from lakes or ponds only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.