The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 17.5g heavily planted tank that has been running for about a year, fishless. Only an amano shrimp colony and a couple nerite snail in there. I was recently thinking adding some fishes and I thought about tiger barbs as I find them beautiful, I even wear their name... My only concern is tank size. Some websites say you need at least 30g and some other say you can stock almost a 12 in 20g. I was thinking about 8-9 in my 17.5g. I'm quite on top on maintenance so that would not be an issue. I'm worried regarding behaviour, would that be to tight or is it viable?

Can anyone guide me?

Thank you all and have a great day!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 17.5g heavily planted tank that has been running for about a year, fishless. Only an amano shrimp colony and a couple nerite snail in there. I was recently thinking adding some fishes and I thought about tiger barbs as I find them beautiful, I even wear their name... My only concern is tank size. Some websites say you need at least 30g and some other say you can stock almost a 12 in 20g. I was thinking about 8-9 in my 17.5g. I'm quite on top on maintenance so that would not be an issue. I'm worried regarding behaviour, would that be to tight or is it viable?

Can anyone guide me?

Thank you all and have a great day!
What are the dimensions of this tank?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
So that's the same footprint as a 20H. Barbs don't really utilize vertical space, so whatever amount of fish you would put in a 20H, you can put in this tank. I would start with 8, since 12 to my mind (remember these fish will eventually reach ~3") seems like a bit overcrowded.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The one issue I have had with tiger barbs is that they are aggressive in small groups, even aggressive, nipping, with other fish. I've read that once the group is large enough they keep to themselves. It sounds like you'll have a tiger barb only tank, so that's not an issue.

And yes, they are a beautiful fish!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one issue I have had with tiger barbs is that they are aggressive in small groups, even aggressive, nipping, with other fish. I've read that once the group is large enough they keep to themselves. It sounds like you'll have a tiger barb only tank, so that's not an issue.

And yes, they are a beautiful fish!
Yes it will be Tiger barbs only! Thank you for your reply

Its been years since I kept tiger barbs but yes, definitely aggressive. Aggressive enough that I would expect the amano shrimp to get picked at and eventually eaten once the tiger barbs grow in a bit.
Even if my amanos are all huge by now? They have all grown to adultsize already.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If all tiger barbs and no other fish I would try it. I would error on overstocking with this fish. They do best in higher density.
The shrimp- I dunno. They may or may not be eaten.
I have discus in with adult neos and they entirely ignore them. I dont see any babies, however. I didnt add the neos into this tank, they hitchhiked in somehow from my other tanks. In another discus tank they might be toast. It just depends.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If all tiger barbs and no other fish I would try it. I would error on overstocking with this fish. They do best in higher density.
I have discus in with adult neos and they entirely ignore them. I dont see any babies, however. I didnt add the neos into this tank, they hitchhiked in somehow from my other tanks. In another discus tank they might be toast. It just depends.
Thank you for your reply!!

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
I agree here, I'm pretty sure with amanos you will be okay. they should be large enough and especially if you get juvenile barbs I would bet you'll be okay. I would also get a few more barbs than the "recommended" amount with these guys. with amanos you should be good as far as the bioload break down. I am assuming you have more than 1 or 2 since you called it a colony. after that you will want to keep up on your water changes is all.

oh, keep the barbs fed for the sake of the shrimp.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You should give Desmopuntius hexazona, the Six Banded Barb, a try. They're not as active or aggressive as Tiger Barbs but are just as attractive. They do best in soft acidic water, however.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree here, I'm pretty sure with amanos you will be okay. they should be large enough and especially if you get juvenile barbs I would bet you'll be okay. I would also get a few more barbs than the "recommended" amount with these guys. with amanos you should be good as far as the bioload break down. I am assuming you have more than 1 or 2 since you called it a colony. after that you will want to keep up on your water changes is all.

oh, keep the barbs fed for the sake of the shrimp.
I dont want it to push it to much but in that case maybe 10 could do it, i just want to make sure to balance out the number so they are enough to feel good as well as their space.

For the amanos I have 7 full size shrimp at the moment. They work pretty hard out there.

Thank you!

You should give Desmopuntius hexazona, the Six Banded Barb, a try. They're not as active or aggressive as Tiger Barbs but are just as attractive. They do best in soft acidic water, however.
I will look into that! Thank you! May I have your opinion as to why you recommend the Desmopuntius hexazona rather than the puntius tetrazonia?

Thank you!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Puntigrus tetrazona (new name) can max out at 3" & are very active. I wouldn't put a group in any tank smaller than a 20 L. D. hexazona reaches only 2" & is much calmer. A shoal of them will do well in a tank with a smaller footprint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.