The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone I am a new tank owner. I have recently added my first set of fish, Tiger Barbs. I purchased them, knowing they are moderately aggressive and well aware that I will have to be selective in choosing tank mates. Looking for any knowledgeable advice regarding what sorts of fish they can be housed with. I currently have a 10 gallon tank with 5 tiger barbs. Look forward to hearing any input. Thanks!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Nothing. They are semi aggressive fish especially cramped into a small tank. The 5 barbs will do better in 29G tank. You can return then and get SMALLER fishes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I mentioned above, I am very new to this. I was merely going off of the advice of the people I spoke to at Pacific Aquarium here in NYC. They advised me that based on my tank size, this was a good fish to start with and that I could add more. A more productive response would be appreciated.

·
Registered
820 Posts
5 Tb in a 10...stocked except for snail/otto.....I had 8 TB in a 40B with 3 Gourami's, 1 rubberlip, and 1 red tail shark.....

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yeah that's too many. And I would never put them in a 10 gallon tank anyway. They like to run and chase each other. I had 3 in a 40B and they normally chased each other all over the place but they bothered the other fish enough that I eventually got rid of them. I put them on my $%&# list of fish to never get again. They're just annoying...

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
As I mentioned above, I am very new to this. I was merely going off of the advice of the people I spoke to at Pacific Aquarium here in NYC. They advised me that based on my tank size, this was a good fish to start with and that I could add more. A more productive response would be appreciated.
They gave you bad advice. I'd return them and demand a good deal for new fish like guppies. They're easy to raise and are small although they breed a lot. You'll have to cull the brood.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Give them a bigger tank (29 gallons or larger) or return the fish to Pacific for another type of smaller fish. Before you pickup some fish, you should do some research on the internet about the care and housing for the specific species you're interested in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. It seems I have been ill advised with regard to fish choice. I plan on taking them back to the store tonight. I really like the neon tetra fish. Would this be a good choice for a ten gallon tank? If so, how many and could I have any additional breed in there as well?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Better, but still not ideal. Although neons are technically small enough for a ten gallon, it has been reported that they are less active and 'upbeat', so to speak, in 10 and 5 gallon tanks. In larger tanks, they are much more enjoyable. Have you considered endlers livebearers? They are small livebearers closely related to guppies in which the males have beautiful iridescent green colors, not unlike neon's but more greenish.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Adult neons are too big for a 10 gallon tank. A 20 gallon long would be better for them.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Actually a good fish for you would be cherry barbs (3-4). They're small and milder in temperament. You can add white clouds into the mix too (3-4) and maybe one betta.
Cherries do chase fish around but they don't do any damage like tigers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts