The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a fairly new 55 gallon, in which I have a mix of mollies, tetras, balas, crayfish and tiger barbs. I've had this striped black and orange tiger barb for awhile now and just a few days ago I introduced a new tiger barb, well two, but one died almost immediately....anyway, it is of the mostly green/emerald variety. The orange tiger barb constantly chases around the new green tiger barb. At first it seems they got along great, as a matter of fact, the green tiger barb always seemed to want to school with the other but now if they get anywhere close to each other, the orange tiger barb chases down the green one for a long time. It seems like it tries to chase it to the other side of the tank and then leaves it alone. And then when the green tiger barb gets the courage to come back, it gets chased back again. My orange tiger barb gets along perfectly with all the other fish I named above. No one even flinches when he comes near. But it seems he really hates the green tiger barb. Obviously, if this keeps up I need to get rid of one, I don't want to torture the green one to death. But which one should I get rid of??? Should I get rid of the aggressive orange one, or the new green one that is the victim of the aggression?

·
Registered
888 Posts
How many tiger barbs do you have? You need to keep them to at least 6-8 as the minimum. Failing that will result to them bullying each other and other fish without spreading out their aggression to the members of their own species. They also establish pecking orders as other fish like tetras do.

Another thing: I would recommend taking out your crayfish and put it in a tank on its own. Crayfish will attack your fish unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Yeah, you'll want more than two so the aggression of the dominant fish isn't directed toward just one other fish.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
In addition to greater numbers, try to get only males which are thinner and have better fin display colors. I had problems with my 7 barbs until I removed the one female that came with the gang from the pet store. now with all males they still chase each other around, but such infrequent tiffs only last 10-20 seconds and never result in injury. also try to get them all around the same size relative to each other, and it's best to buy them all at once since they've probably been together since birth, not a few at a time that could be from different breeder batches. see if your pet store will let you return these barbs, then buy 5 or more from the same fresh batch the breeder shipped recently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I have just the two tiger barbs...I don't want to get 7 of them I don't think...I don't find them interesting enough to get 7 or 8 of them and have those take up the space of a fish I really wanted...so do you guys think its best that I get rid of both tiger barbs then if Im not going to do the 7 or 8?

bluebell, I know the crayfish is a potential predator to my fish and yes he does reach for them every so often when they come near but honestly he is so much slower than they are, he never even comes close to catching them. its really funny watching him try. if he ever does get ahold of and kill one of the fish then I will move him. however I did get a mini aquatic frog that went missing so I think that was him. I wont be getting anymore frogs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you don't want 6 or 7 tiger barbs then I would not keep any. As has been pointed out, the idea is to keep the aggression from being directed at a single fish of the same species or other species in your tank. Tiger barbs will "generally" not bother the other fish too much if the have enough of their own in the tank.

There is a very good chance that if you remove only one of the barbs, the remaining barb will start bothering the other fish in the tank.

·
Banned
582 Posts
Everyone here has given great advice on the tiger barbs. The key to successful keeping of them is to keep them in a large school/shoal. The bigger the better. Also, I recommend moving the 2 bala sharks. They get too big for your tank and 2 isn't enough. They also need a school/shoal of at least 4. You could also keep the fish you have and just get a 125 gallon. That way can keep the fish you have, add on the the 1/2 schools you have, and still have room for something else.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I did get a mini aquatic frog that went missing so I think that was him.
you definitely cannot mix crayfish with frogs. crayfish are often on the hunt, and frogs will freeze up rather than escape when a crayfish is upon them, then become an easy meal. I currently have dwarf African frogs sharing the same tank bottom with Thai red claw crabs, and they are getting along nicely the past 2 Months in my heavily planted 29gal. the best rule of thumb with a crayfish is; any animal in your tank that you can catch with your own hand, such as a frog or fancy goldfish, the crayfish will catch just as well. in the case of snails, any snail you can crush in your fingertips, a crayfish will eat, so while my ramshorns are in danger, my harder shelled adult Malaysian trumpet snails are safe from my 3' Yabbie crayfish.

·
Registered
439 Posts
...I don't want to get 7 of them I don't think...I don't find them interesting enough
If you get 7 or 8 more, they will become very interesting...
:icon_lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tiger barb murder any Tiger barb

I am new to all this fish stuff......... But I bought two young tiger barbs at went to live with a bunch of older bards including One older tiger barb in my 20 gallon tank. I say that one of my younger barbs always hide under the flat stone I had in the tank... the reason being it was being attack by the other younger tiger barb. Then I came home and find the young tiger barb that was being harassed by the other dead behind a rock. MURDER. SO I gave my died tiger barb a proper death and flush it down my toilet. :( I am going to get a 29 gallon tank form my cousin so hopefully this will not happen again. I didn't even get to name it. But it will have a name and it's name was Hiderunder.:angel:

·
Registered
476 Posts
one day my mom decided to buy two tiger barbs to put in my tank with gouramis tetras and some other smaller fish. one of them was albino and the other was a regular one. the regular one chased all of my fish around for like two weeks on and off, but one day my dwarf gourami got stuck in a crack in some driftwood and died. Also the albino tiger barb died, but after that, now they are all doing fine and the remaining tiger barb doesnt bother any of the fish. He doesn't even nip at my golden gouramis long fins. He just does his own thing.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
As much time as I spend in the aquairum store... it always baffles my mind when someone buys a couple of schooling fish that live in schools of thousands in the wild... then they wonder why there are aggression, pining, lack of color, issues.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I work at a LFS and when people want just one tetra or barb, I simply tell them no. If they can't buy a few more to keep the fish happier, they shouldn't buy them at all. It drives me crazy when the people ask you why their one and only Neon Tetra hid in the corner for a week and finally died, but then won't believe you when you say they need to be in a school.

·
Registered
1 Posts
is tiger barb aggression only among males or is there aggressive behavior between male and female. Can I keep one male and one female tiger barb without aggressive interaction between them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
is tiger barb aggression only among males or is there aggressive behavior between male and female. Can I keep one male and one female tiger barb without aggressive interaction between them?
No, they are schooling fish and need a group of 6+.
With tiger barbs, they should be kept in a group of 15+ to reduce aggression.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Only one other person mentioned the bala issue. Those two should be returned to the LFS as well. You need both a bigger school and a bigger tank to keep them properly.

It would behoove you to get into the habit of researching fish choices before you make them

·
Registered
81 Posts
Only one other person mentioned the bala issue. Those two should be returned to the LFS as well. You need both a bigger school and a bigger tank to keep them properly.

It would behoove you to get into the habit of researching fish choices before you make them
Lol, this is from 2007.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts