The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got some threadfins and at first they were all schooling very well together but now after a week they don't school much no more unless the lights go out. It might be that out of the 10 I got, there was only 1 female. Has anyone had this happen before? Can the female be overwhelmed by the males? everywhere she goes in the tank(75gal) there is a different male flaring at her.

·
Registered
92 Posts
With 9 males and 1 female, the poor girl is going to be harassed constantly. I think with most, if not all, of the rainbows it's suggested to get closer to a ratio of 2 females for every 1 male. You may want to return some of your males and try to get a lot more females to get closer to the 2F:1M ratio. The females are not nearly as pretty, but you'll see more natural mating behavior and it'll spread out the sexual tension. If that isn't possible, consider returning the female and only keep males. I've heard of people doing this with other species of rainbowfish.

Also, they were probably schooling well because they were in a new situation and scared. I don't believe they're known as tight schoolers. I don't have threadfins, but I do have dwarf neon and celebes rainbows, and they may shoal, but definitely do not school...

I've thought about getting some threadfins myself, but their mouths are so tiny and I've read they're slow eaters. I think they'd get outcompeted for food...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Like the above poster said, threadfins don't actually school. Most fish, even "schooling" fish, don't really school unless there's a threat present. That's why your fish school together when the lights go out.

I think you'd be fine if you just got 2 or 3 more females.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
That's definitely an inverted M/F ratio. As with lots of ornamental fish, stores request greater numbers of the better looking of the two sexes.

CytoEric, your right about the mouth size and you have to be prepared to feed them according to what fits in there, lol! Adding that they only eat from the middle of the water column, feeding is a bit more challenging. While they don't necessarily get out-competed if the food is presented correctly, they do seem less out-going in the presence of faster swimmers in open water. Yes, I've failed at a couple of attempts too. If I were to give it a third try I would definitely be adding BBS to the menu and they would be the only mid-water species in the tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I didn't get to choose the sexes of the fish. They just arrived in the mail like that but I will probably be doing another order just females. As for eating, right now they are only sharing the tank with 13 other small cardinals and 2 Ottos. They get plenty of food and take crushed flakes really good. I also sift through frozen brine shrimp through a net so only small enough shrimp can be fed to them, they take this very well too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts