The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Lol, most of my LFS have Threadfins for only $4 or $5 each. (any size they get in). Both males and females easily available in my area. (WA state)

You can order from Wet Spot (located in Oregon). $5 each and they have males and females (they try to give a even ratio when you buy). Great store that I've bought tons of fish from, Threadfins included.
Fish

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Quit braggin! Lol I know it sucks. I'm pretty sure everywhere else in the country and even Canada these fish are at least half of what they are here
lol. Have you thought of trying to an online order? Even with shipping you will probably come out cheaper.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I actually prefer ordering online, as usually the fish are in better condition/less stressed when they reach me. Rather than having the fish go from wholesale supplier to LFS to you, it's just from supplier to you so the fish are usually less stressed out (depending who you are ordering from. And it can actually be transported around more if the fish are wild-caught).

Online does have shipping cost, but from where I buy from, the prices on fish are usually cheaper than my LFS, and I just count the shipping costs as taxes I would pay if I bought locally (some places do charge a fortune to ship though, and it depends if the shipment is worth the cost).

Wet Spot Tropical Fish in Oregon is one of the best fish sources.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually prefer ordering online, as usually the fish are in better condition/less stressed when they reach me. Rather than having the fish go from wholesale supplier to LFS to you, it's just from supplier to you so the fish are usually less stressed out (depending who you are ordering from. And it can actually be transported around more if the fish are wild-caught).

Online does have shipping cost, but from where I buy from, the prices on fish are usually cheaper than my LFS, and I just count the shipping costs as taxes I would pay if I bought locally (some places do charge a fortune to ship though, and it depends if the shipment is worth the cost).

Wet Spot Tropical Fish in Oregon is one of the best fish sources.

Thank you! Honestly compare to the fish around my area I'm sure anything online is in much better condition. What area are you from if you don't mind me asking? Oregon is pretty far from Illinois so I'm assuming shipping is a lot

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Im just one state away in Washington state so shipping for me was only $12 ground shipping (still arrived within 24 hours) and next day air was $15-17 only and my orders were always large.

I am sure it costs more to ship to you. They charge actual shipping prices, so you can give them a general order idea and they can give you a estimated shipping cost to give you an idea. Depends on how far you are and the weight of your shipment.

Like I said, it might be pricey, but if the price per fish is cheaper and not having to pay tax makes up for the shipping charge, then it's worth it. I always do large orders and get rarer fish to make it even more worth it. Doesn't hurt to send them a quick email asking how much shipping would roughly cost (give your location and an idea of what fish and how many).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im just one state away in Washington state so shipping for me was only $12 ground shipping (still arrived within 24 hours) and next day air was $15-17 only and my orders were always large.

I am sure it costs more to ship to you. They charge actual shipping prices, so you can give them a general order idea and they can give you a estimated shipping cost to give you an idea. Depends on how far you are and the weight of your shipment.

Like I said, it might be pricey, but if the price per fish is cheaper and not having to pay tax makes up for the shipping charge, then it's worth it. I always do large orders and get rarer fish to make it even more worth it. Doesn't hurt to send them a quick email asking how much shipping would roughly cost (give your location and an idea of what fish and how many).
Thanks for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.