The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help ASAP. I read that it might be caused by excess iron levels which would make sence because once I started dosing more iron it showed up. Today is sunday and I just finished my 50% water change. Is there anything I can do to rid my tank of this besides cutting/pulling it off which I have been doing?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd prefer to not add anymore fish to my tank. I would like to correct what ever chemical inbalence is present in my water, and if that's due to too much iron then I will stop dosing extra iron and maybe cut down a little on traces.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was having the beginnings of a major hair algae problem. The way I remedied the problem was manually removing a fair amount, adding one ghost shimp per 2 gallons, and dosing Flourish Excel per instuctions on the bottle (large first dose, smaller subsequent doeses) for a week. It's been three weeks now and I haven't seen any more hair algae whatsoever!!! Plus I got rid of ALL traces of BBA!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah this is thread algae .. . not hair algae. I'll try the ghost shrimp idea, thanks!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
many say that ghosts don't eat it, but I have heard severl times that they do. I personally had a great experience with Amanos and Cherry barbs.....all gone

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My problem is Amano's jump out, other wise I would buy more. I probably will still. Its now consumed most of my HM, my rotala and acurata. From a distance the tank looks beautiful. The plants are all thriving, but this thread algae is a nuisence. So by not doing much micros, thus not providing much iron, will it go away? Help ASAP.

I will try some ghosts.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it's really gotten out of hand. It has ruined my Acurata, and now is terrorizing everything else. I will cut back to a 6 hour lighting period and continue high C02 diffussion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.