The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is thread algae (green strings extending up to a few inches, sometimes forming clumps where they get caught around a plant or driftwood) a common occurence in new tanks or am I likely doing something incorrect?

The tank is three weeks old and running higher than 30 ppm CO2 (though I am lowering it slowly to begin adding fish) as per four drop checkers with 4 dkh solution. I am dosing EI. I have been dosing 1.5 times the "20-40 gallon" amount because my plant stock is almost entirely fast growing stems. Right now I have around 90 stems of rotala (the ones which are redder, as opposed to 'green' species are growing fastest of those), a couple dozen Elodea (egeria densa), 30 Bacopa, and a few pots of HC. Also two Big stems of hygro difformis.

The lighting is two Aqualight Coralife fixtures, one running a 6700 and Colormax bulb and one running a 10K and a 6700 (4 total 21 watt bulbs). Hoppy and some experimental data posted on this message board suggest that this is 40 mm par or possibly up to much less due to the poor reflector and bulb spacing. I don't have a PAR meter yet but the growth of HC and Cabomba failure (pulled them all a few days ago) seems to be right on track with having "LOW" light...The only plant which has noticeable "daily" growth is the Egeria Densa (anacharis, Elodea, it's called so many things), and the rotala are getting bigger as time goes on with no diatoms - the diatoms prefer the Bacopa, and also may be slightly affecting the HC at this time now as that seems to now be a dull dark green instead of a bright refreshing green color, with some but not many runners.

The lights have been running 8 hours a day now I am backing down so one only runs 6. My HC seems to have stopped growing so I don't think I have too powerful lighting because with ferts and CO2 I should be light limited and it seems like I sure am. I pulled cabomba because they were not growing well with leaves fall off.

There's some diatoms on older Bacopa leaves but the string algae is really starting to get ugly and more and more unmanagaeable. Is this a normal new tank bloom and will it go away?

This is a 40B with 36 x 18 x 18 dimensions and 2-3 inches of eco complete substrate and a piece of manzy driftwood. I have performed 2 50% water changes per week.

Thank you...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Diatoms should go away on their own, but you should do research on string algae. I don't know much about how to battle the different types, so I can't help you much more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts