The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thread algae has been trying to take over my mosses in my tank is there any way to prevent this. I've cranked my co2 to the point of my rainbows going nuts, and I spot treated it with excel. The moss didn't fare to well with the excel as it started to die afterwards. My phosphates tested at 5ppm, which doesn't make sense as I have a bit of green spot in the tank, and nitrates tested at 2.5 ppm, which doesn't make sense since I've been dosing <1/2 tsp KNO3 daily. I know shrimp would help but they never survive long in my tank. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
NO3 is a bit low.... PO4 high although I don't trust PO4 test kits. DOn't worry about your mosses with excel...it looks bad after treatment, but they bounce back bigtime. Maybe clean out what you can and lower light period for a while....Keep using excel and don't worry...your mosses will survive. It just looks poopy for a while. Do you dose Fe?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep normally 2 ml iron with traces, but I've been backing off when the thread algae started to show up. Not sure about the nitrate readings though. I have 2 different test brands(Hagen and Red Sea). Red sea always shows 2.5-5ppm, while the Hagen shows around 20 ppm. I recently started dosing a little less than a half teaspoon KNO3 everyday to stop any bottoming out that I had experienced in the past dosing every other day. Would you think my tank could actually use that much nitrates. Also after my last bga outbreak I had reduced my lighting to 3 hours at 2.4wpg at lights on, 3 hours at 4.8 wpg at mid-day, and 3 hours at 2.4 wpg for dusk. Could it be from insuffiecient water movement possibly. I have started to remove my micron filtration pad out the filter a day after water changes to help with that. Maybe I'm just being impatient, but my tank has been looking it's best ever for the last 2 months and now this. Arghh

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
That is a lot of Iron....You can back off. Even with trace dosing, I don't dose extra Fe unless I see obvious deficiencies.... it is thought that excess Fe casuses this type of algae....get a different NO3 test kit and check that while you are at it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everthing else is growing fine, except for some green spot on my anubais, and crypt blassi. I have fast and slow growers. The thread algae has been moving on to my b. japonica that is around the base of a moss covered piece of driftwood. I noticed a small amount of bga at the subtrate level where my glosso has grown into the glass(poor circulation my guess). Everything pretty much grows like a weed in my tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.