The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 125 is doing somewhat better...plant wise.
I am think about doing a 10 gallon shrimp tank. Either no filter. Or undergravel or plenum type filter. I have been watching video's with the UG or plenum filtrations....looks interesting.
Anyone here try that approach?

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
Plenty of shrimpers through the years have used under gravel filters - usually in Caridina tanks. If you use the search function, you'll find several. Mostly to make sure water moves through their active substrate. They end up exhausting the substrate faster than it would normally exhaust, it breaks down more quickly, and the systems generally clog up over time - making them tough or impossible to clean - which can be bad news in a shrimp tank.

But the plenum filter the Novak pseudoscience guy pushes on YouTube? That's a huge waste of time and a potential disaster in the making for sensitive critters like shrimp. Would also take up half the tank or more.

If it were me, I'd go with a sponge filter if you're on a budget. And if not, an Aquaclear HOB or nice canister like Eheim if you've got money to burn. Sponge filter over the intake for either of those.

Wouldn't go the no-filter route unless you have a metric ton of plants and only a few shrimp. Keep up with weekly water changes and always monitor parameters. Probably even a good idea to try to 'cycle' the tank first by making sure the tank can process a few drops of ammonia into nitrite and then nitrate (or plants use it up quickly) before adding shrimp.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have had UG filter back in the day, when that was the only choice. I thought they were bad then.
But never had one in a planted tank. So I thought hmmm this makes sense. But I can see it would clog up over time.
Yes it was the Novak vids I was watching.
So I am still intrigued by the no filter method.
More plants than shrimp.

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
So I am still intrigued by the no filter method.
I have a few no-filter vases (but I like the ones I have with a tiny filter better) I use for plant trimmings and extra shrimp. They're not much work. Just have to be careful and never skip water changes. I try not to have more than 5 or 6 shrimp in a gallon but I like being safer instead of sorry.

A 10-gallon tank loaded with plants, moss, floaters could definitely work. Same principle as the vases I keep.

The reason I like having tiny filters is because they allow for more biological (and some mechanical) filtration to take place. They can be really tiny, like this one:

See how tiny that is? Easy to hide in a small vase behind plants.

Also because they allow for water flow, which is important for plants and preventing water stagnation.

A lot of people who go filter-free end up using an air stone to provide some flow and oxygenation. If you don't want to run it full time, it's easy to stick them on a timer so they run several times per day. That helps a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts