The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
They are PAR monsters by what I hear but having full control over each LEDs intensity would allow you to dial in the right color spectrum. Also the MaxSpect Mazzara was jsut released which should give the AI a bit of a challenge. The nice thing about the Mazzara is it has 5 Nuetral Whites to help balance out the blue coloring. Pricing is similar between the 2 the AI is a white fixture where as the Mazzara is in black.

Craig

·
Registered
20 Posts
A friend of mine has 1 over his saltwater tank and they look fantastic over the coral. He is very pleased with them. So I bought 2 for over my planted 75gal. Long story short I went from having lush plants, including the red ones to plants that are just hanging on. They look washed out. The hairgrass is growing well, but that's all. Expensive mistake. I would like to go back to the CF lights but don't want to eat the price of the AI.
That is my experience for what it's worth.

·
Registered
461 Posts
IME a lot of commercial LED fixtures are high on the blue spectrum, hence washing out colors. Red plants need the right amount of peak red wavelengths to stay red.
My DIY LED fixture was 50% cool whites and 50% neutral whites, and the reds were completely washed out. I switched the cool whites to warm whites and the reds started coming back.

I've seen several reef tanks with the AI Sol's and they look spectacular. Havent seen a planted tank with the AI SOL's yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The sol white LED is 6500K. I'm not sure which white it is considered. I have used 6500K CF and they look completely different. The plants looked much greener, and of corse did better. I'll see if they make something that I can change out the blue with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.