The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 55 gallon planted tank running for about 4 months.So far the usual issues- some algae, but overall pretty good. Use EI dosing, have an Eheim 2026,turbo twist 6x UV, running co2, 2x65 lighting about 8 hrs. My question is would the addition of another smaller canister like an Eheim 2222 be a good addition or would it really be just overkill? My water is pretty good, but I get fanatical on things and was wanting some input. I do use a vortex d1 about once every 10 days and it really polishes the water nice, but after a few days it loses the extra clarity? I thought by adding the extra canister with mostly floss, it would maintain the shine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The more water movement you have in a planted tank ,the better.
In a 6 foot ,100 gal. tank I have 3 filters and 5 powerheads!I get great co2 distribution ,and no dead spots.
As you know when plants grow ,they reduce water movement ,that's when powerheads help,if positioned properly, they provide the extra movement you need in a heavily planted tank.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
We are almost using the same setup and I'm at that point too.. This tank has been running for two years. I am in need of another canister if this unit is to stay at it's current setup. I have way too much wood in here for proper circulation right now and am looking to change this soon.

Running an added internal pump is not helping me much. I too want the additional mechanical filteration.

Let us know how it goes if you do buy another.

Funny thing is I thought the 2026 was over kill when purchased... Just goes to show what you learn later how to maintain one of these plant puddles.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I use a magnum 350 along side my main can jebo csf4 in my 55 and it does an amazing job keeping the water crystal clear...well the purigen helps also:)

I use my jebo for the bio side and the mangnum for chemical mechanical and clean it every 2 to 3 weeks.It works as good as a diatom filter IMO plus you have a vac that hooks up directly to the can input for a quick gravle cleaning.Its a great item.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two filters...

Well, I did pick up an Eheim 2222 today and set it up. Hopefully the extra filtration/circulation will add that little extra. I was very pleased with the ease etc of setup. And actually this 2222 is more quiet than my 2026! I have the spray bars on either end and the intakes at opposite ends. Wait and see I guess.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I forget the models, but I run a small eheim classic for chemical (when needed) and mechanical filtration, and I run the bigger eheim classic as biological.

I currently have a 55 gallon planted tank running for about 4 months.So far the usual issues- some algae, but overall pretty good. Use EI dosing, have an Eheim 2026,turbo twist 6x UV, running co2, 2x65 lighting about 8 hrs. My question is would the addition of another smaller canister like an Eheim 2222 be a good addition or would it really be just overkill? My water is pretty good, but I get fanatical on things and was wanting some input. I do use a vortex d1 about once every 10 days and it really polishes the water nice, but after a few days it loses the extra clarity? I thought by adding the extra canister with mostly floss, it would maintain the shine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Now I'm going to have to do something then for sure. Can you keep us in the loop how it works out for you? I have about three different ideas floating in my head and yours is close to one of them. Thank for posting.:proud:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kzr750r1;
Well, its only been about 24 hours so far with the additional filter, but I am pleased with the clarity. It does seem to be well worth the apparent overkill! I have always been trying to attain the clearest water and thought that the flow rate with the two filters would be way too much, but so far so good. I'm just not sure if the additional current from the other spray bar has any detrimental effect on the fish. Seems like they enjoy it? Just thought I'd let you know my initial impressions...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Looking at the flow rates of the 2026 and other Eheims early this morning they were lower than I thought. The tank could definitely use additional flow but wonder if other ways could be used to achieve this other than one more canister.

This asks a question while looking at the venturi CO2 threads.

How much media is acceptable to maintain a 55 heavily with clear water and good bio activity?

2026 is a 1.3L container. Even tough it's a small amount it keeps up with the mechanical/Bio filter for the 55 IMO fine. i could see that additional polishing might help the system. My big issue has been over all turnover with the in line gear included.

The in line loop kills the head pressure so hence the look at venturis. Having a separate closed loop for in line gear may be in my future but well see.

What do you guys think... Sounds like the bare minimum media container needed to keep you guys happy is 2.5L+-... No matter how you slice and dice it between bio or mechanical.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion on using 2 filstar xp3's on a 55 gallon? I am in the process of redoing my planted tank. I have already bought one and was thinking of a second. Also is there anything wrong with running a coralife turbo twist 18w off of one of the xp3's along with a Hydor 300 watt inline heater on each?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
When y'all get ready to connect a reactor and heater to your dual filters, here are some ideas.....DC
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/30908-drilling-my-55-a.html
Thanks DiabloCanine! The discus look great! It looks like you liked the ideal of 2 canisters on your 55 too. I couldn't resist. I just picked up 2 filstar xp3's for $74.99 each at my local Petsmart!

Anyone looking for an Xp filter should take a look at this.

http://www.petsmart.com/landing/Rena/?cm_ven=Google&cm_cat=adwords&cm_pla=rena&cm_ite=rena+filstar

But anyway, would it be too much if I was to put a 300 watt inline heater on both canisters and a coralife turbo twist uv on one of them? Because I am reading that the uv light can also heat the water. I don't want to over do it with the heaters.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Also how did you put the SMS 122 ph probe right into the reactor? Thats a good ideal.

And could we get more specifics on making the co2 reactor? Maybe step by step and fittings used?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
879 Posts
Preston;
I run my coralife 18 watt uv inline after my Eheim 2026, then thru my hydor 300 watt inline heater and it seems fine.
So do you think it will be alright to run a hydor 300 on each of my canisters and a coralife 18 watt uv on just one of the canisters? 55g tank

Thanks

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
But anyway, would it be too much if I was to put a 300 watt inline heater on both canisters and a coralife turbo twist uv on one of them? Because I am reading that the uv light can also heat the water. I don't want to over do it with the heaters.

Thanks for your help.
Also how did you put the SMS 122 ph probe right into the reactor? Thats a good ideal.

And could we get more specifics on making the co2 reactor? Maybe step by step and fittings used?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
I am not a fan of inline UVs, prefer to make them portable (see below). I do not think you will need two 300 watt heaters for a 55, the one I have works just fine. I suppose I could post more specifics on making the DC1 & DC2 reactors, but then, I probably wouldn't sell many more.......DC

·
Registered
879 Posts
I am not a fan of inline UVs, prefer to make them portable (see below). I do not think you will need two 300 watt heaters for a 55, the one I have works just fine. I suppose I could post more specifics on making the DC1 & DC2 reactors, but then, I probably wouldn't sell many more.......DC
I'm sorry I didn't realize you sell them. How much do you sell them for? Also would it fit my sms122 probe into it?

Let me know how you would accept payment for it and how long it would take me to get. (paypal?)

Also I will stick with the one 300 watt heater then.

Thanks

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think I will put my uv inline and use a couple of t's and quick disconnect fittings to make it easily removable for cleaning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Preston;
I actually started out with a 300 watt Hydor inline on my 55 gallon tank and then it quit after about 3 months. Hydor did replace it immediately, but recommended only using the 200 watt inline which I did. It heats my water a constant 77.5. I'd imagine the filstar xp3's will do a real good job for filtration. I'm very glad I did get the extra canister as it was clear before, but extra clear now...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Preston;
I actually started out with a 300 watt Hydor inline on my 55 gallon tank and then it quit after about 3 months. Hydor did replace it immediately, but recommended only using the 200 watt inline which I did. It heats my water a constant 77.5. I'd imagine the filstar xp3's will do a real good job for filtration. I'm very glad I did get the extra canister as it was clear before, but extra clear now...
Thanks for the advice but I have already ordered the 300 watt from Big Al's and should be recieving it any day now. Also I like to keep my tank around 80, so maybe the 300 watt won't have to work so hard to hold that temp. I think the xp3's will do a good job also. I just couldn't resist the price on them.

Thanks,
This forum is great! Its nice to talk to others that are currently doing or have done a planted 55g and get a good ideal of what works.:icon_smil

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.