The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up a new 20 gallon aquarium using some drift wood scavenger from some ponds on my grandmother's property. So far the only good thing to come out of the Texas drought is that driftwood that's been submerged for 50+ years is now exposed.

So, any thoughts on this hardscape?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Nice wood!

At the very least I would pull the tall bit forward and over to the left so you can plant behind it and it is a more pleasing arrangement.

Since it is a fairly small tank with fairly massive wood you might consider combining them into one structure with the highest point about 2/5ths from one side or the other.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice wood!

At the very least I would pull the tall bit forward and over to the left so you can plant behind it and it is a more pleasing arrangement.

Since it is a fairly small tank with fairly massive wood you might consider combining them into one structure with the highest point about 2/5ths from one side or the other.
Yeah, I thought about bringing the right pieces forward. I'll have glue it to some tile to get it to stand up on its on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It looks like you'll be going for a triangle shaped aquascape, so I would recommend propping up the left driftwood so that the trunk of it points diagonally towards the top right of the aquarium, to give it more leading lines and extra contrast between light intensity (maybe shade that area as a focal point). Point it either towards or away from the viewer a bit, maybe add some mosses on top of it or some sort of plant as well as the other wood to match it. Just an idea, I think it would be cool :) If it isn't possible to prop up the driftwood like that, scratch what I said lol

Also, do what Kathyy said and move the right one more to the left, try to get something in the golden ratio point (1:1.618) because it looks like something is almost there, but not quite.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.