The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't quite get the wood into something I'm happy with... think I was going for like roots coming up through the ground. Was potentially thinking about taking the wood out entirely and just having rocks, but that seems... wrong.

No idea on plants yet, tank will be low tech, no co2, but I'll be using an AIO liquid fertilizer along with root tabs (Thrive). Occupants will be a single betta, but I can't discount any snails (or cherry shrimp if the population in my shrimp tank explodes).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Maybe move all the wood to one side, combine them into a single structure?

·
Registered
185 Posts
move the big rock to the left just a touch and lean that piece of wood with the two "fingers" draped across the rock?

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
408 Posts
Part of the hardscape is to get a vertical structure. It is the only thing that will give you depth in the tank. So have a bulk to back left or right. or middle. and doesn't have to be all the way to the corner. And then let the smaller rocks or sticks you use to have it sort of blend into the rest of the tank. The natural banks of a river are the same. Large boulders make up the sides, then smaller boulders are sticking out of the water with large rocks visible under the surface from the river's bank. Then going under you can see the smaller stones and sticks and plants.

Also, to give the tank depth, use more substrate in the back of the tank. I will look less lopsided than if you have it flat all the way through once you put water in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts