The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Don't know how difficult it would be to keep them in one aria(if that is preferred)
but 55's and 29's seem too open at the top unless something is done/w that space
at least on one end of the tank. Saw one that the owner had found a piece of driftwood which was L shaped enough to place it so it looked like a tree/w a limb
stickng out towards the middle(had the virtical part against the left end) and had a couple of Java Ferns growing on the "limb" which was about 3/4 up to the surface.
But a few Frogbit or Red Root floaters would take up a bit of that open top space.
Not so much as to interfer much/w light.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Too symmetrical. Move the driftwood over to one side. I like Raymond's suggestion that you might lean it up as if it were a tree trunk. Alternatively, make a convincing mound of stones on one side and prop the wood up against them as if it were flowing through a stream and got snagged on a rocky outcrop. It would look quite nice to have some plants growing out of a mound like that.

The driftwood you have is a great home for fish. Nice job with that! Now get it out of the center of your tank!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the log has 2-3 stones in it to keep it sunk. Its about 2 months old. The Tire Track Eel loves it. He basically never comes out of it, under the log or on the left side.

I do plan to make it swivel up more on the left (the L part of it... more up... and I want to get a certain time of stone. I am not sold on the lavastones.

I was thinking of getting river stones from a Garden Center. compare the two sizes - get a handful of the larger ones, and 3-4 handfuls of the smaller one.. build it up.

I am hoping the swords in the back will balloon up to cover the back (red flame swords)

I had some more green lush plants in the front, but was shipped after the whole polar vortex (2 weeks later) and it melted a short time after (split the plants into a high end tank, and that 55 gallon that I am presenting now.

I am looking for something to fill in - I am never happy with a smaller bushier medium to low sized plant (not ground covery either)

Java fern on the driftwood... just cover it ? or along the back? if so what variety would you choose?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts