The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is in the early stages of planning. 5 gallon rimless setup for betta fish. I’m recycling some old driftwood and seiryu stone from a previous build. I’ll add aquarium gravel mixed with aqua soil for a base slopes up toward the back left corner with a top layer of light colored sand with flatter areas in the right and along the front. This will be planted with Java ferns, anubias, and Java moss. Going for a low maintenance but high quality looking setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could very easily do that. I have plenty of crypts in my other tank that are growing out right now. I have plenty of crypt wendtii bronze that I could pull and put in this setup as well as some crypt balansae that I could move over. That might look kinda cool in the back corner once it is long enough to lay across the top of the water.

·
Registered
118 Posts
IMO you don't need to put rocks too dense, use them as walls to retain aqua soil, and then maybe put some on top for additional decoration. What I found is that
  • Too dense rock placement makes it really hard to plant, not much surface area for soil and there's not much areas with deep enough soil
  • As the plants grow in, they will cover a lot of the rocks that are buried in the middle.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO you don't need to put rocks too dense, use them as walls to retain aqua soil, and then maybe put some on top for additional decoration. What I found is that
  • Too dense rock placement makes it really hard to plant, not much surface area for soil and there's not much areas with deep enough soil
  • As the plants grow in, they will cover a lot of the rocks that are buried in the middle.
I’ll definitely take that into consideration one I get the substrate in. I thought they were a bit dense but I guess to my eye I was simulating the slope I envision. I was definitely beginning to feel like I’m not going to pile so many rocks there once the substrate is in. Thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here it is after adding plants. The crypt lutea and crypt balansae are still small and should fill out the left/center of the background and even out the lines visually I think. The anubias have some growing to do and the Java moss is placed all around the base of the driftwood and should fill out the shapes nicely in a month or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.