The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys' thoughts on the Marineland C-Series 220GPH canister filter? I just got one, but it's remained unopened as I wanted to gather opinions on it in case I decide to return it. I've been looking at Eheims and Sunsuns, but I want honest opinions about the Marineland. Will it work for a low tech 55 gallon tank? Or am I hearing into bad territory and should just beg out for a more costly canister filter?

-Empress Akitla

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have a C530 that's been up and running for almost 3 years. It's been a great filter and I really don't have anything bad to say about it. The only thing I wish was better is if it was quieter. I did recently buy an Eheim 2217 and for me if I were to buy a new filter today I would buy the Eheim. It's simplistic, has great flow and quiet. When i first plugged in my new 2217 I had to put my hand on it to make sure it was running, that's how quiet this thing is.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
There's really nothing wrong with the Marineland C Series, they're very similar to the SunSuns but cost more and come with media--I've never heard anything bad about them but then I've never heard any raves either. Their coming with media though is a plus: coarse filter pads, a fine filter pad, carbon, bio noodles, and bio balls. The coarse and fine pads are likely fine to use but the noodles are not usually great as bio and would be of more use in the very bottom tray to diffuse the flow going into the pads and catch the largest of particles and some of the muck. The bio balls--you can just pitch them in the trash I guess, along with the carbon.

When manufacturers give their recommendations on how much filtration capacity a given filter has it is usually safe to cut that figure in half. So for a 55 you want a filter that is suggested for up to a 110 gallon--your C 220 probably isn't big or powerful enough. Those tanks are quite long so higher flow would help with water circulation as well, putting the spraybar on one end of the tank as opposed to somewhere along the back and the intake right below it on the back of the tank to catch the water on the end of its circular current.

You could opt for a bigger C series or you could go with the SunSun or an Eheim. If you're looking to get a single canister rather than double up then you'll need an Eheim 2217 or a SunSun HW-304B or 305B. The Eheims come with excellent media right out of the box while with the SunSuns you will need to configure your own media layout--don't bother getting the kit from them that has media as it is laughable.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I didn't realize I needed to get a bigger filter. I've decided to return the Marineland to PetCo and I've ordered an Eheim 2217 off of Amazon. Cost me $70 more, but I mean you get what you pay for, right? :D

-Empress Akitla

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi Empress Akitla,

I have two Marineland C-series canister filters in use, the C-220 and C-160, and I like them a lot. They are quiet, reliable, and the media for them is available at my LFS or online. They also have an excellent warranty department. A few years ago I had a problem with a 2 year old filter, it started leaking water. Marineland replaced the filter at no charge and even paid the freight....that is customer service. Also there is an 800 number for their customer service and it is located in the U.S. Marineland has a three (3) warranty on their C-series filters.

It appears that SunSun has a 1 year warranty but have not been able to verify it nor who to contact if there are problems. Have you tried visiting the SunSun website?

That said, I would question of a C-220 would be sufficient for a 55 gallon tank. I run my C-220 on a 30 gallon tank and it does a good job but unless it is a bare bottom 55 gallon tank I would move up in size. I typically try to have about 8 to 10 times the aquarium capacity in GPH for my planted tanks to avoid 'dead spots' and remove as much mulm and detritus as possible.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have 7 Chinese filters and I believe them to be perfectly adequate.
That said your Eheim will certainly be quieter and perhaps last longer.
I say perhaps because I have some Chinese Sunsuns at 7 and 5 years continuous with no complaints.
But I am glad you went bigger. Over time I found that 265GPH manufacturer rated Sunsun 302 in example was needing to be cleaned far too often which resulted in me doubling them up (since I had them already) on some of my 55g tanks and going bigger @ 525GPH filter on another. They never let me down but perhaps one was insufficient for a medium bioload planted tank. I am sure others may have had differing opinions but just sharing my experience.
I am sure you will be happy with an Eheim!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.