The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to plant my 180 and was wondering what I am in for in terms of dealing with reach problems etc. I currently run a 75 and have been practicing with long tweezers.
Anyone have a large planted and want to share your insights?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I am wondering how much Eco Earth substrate I need. Footprint is 6ft x 2ft and I want at least 3 inches. I was thinking 8x 20lb bags but am unsure if that's enough.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is I think 2 ft tall.
I was planning on running 6x the AH supply LED units on it. It currently has the fixtures so I figure I'll just replace the bulbs with LEDs.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did grow some tiger lotus in it at one time and vals - it was a pain to reach but I think I am ready for the pain. I am converting it from a Malawi hap tank to a small fish and plants tank
Once upon a time:

·
Registered
138 Posts
You'll need a couple more bags of eco to reach your 3" goal. Plan on at least 10, probably 12. This will depend on how you slope things and any other substrate components (half buried rocks/driftwood/terraces etc.).

·
Registered
136 Posts
You might need a ladder or a step stool, too. Until I got my planting tongs, I got very wet arms and/or wet beard!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I assume I will need to get rid of my red hook silver dollars before I plant, no?
How about severums? (no small fish are safe I know, but what about plants?)
I believe I can keep my bala sharks though....right?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Long arms and 15" tweezers work for me but without the tweezers it is very difficult to plant the back unless I completely remove the canopy. The biggest pain to me is how the tank is braced - mine has about 2 feet of glass bracing at the top which makes it hard to reach to the middle back without getting your shoulder right in there.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have always used a step stool from the 50 to the 150, 100, 180 long and now the 6' 180 tank. Makes life much easier!

My forceps are 12" and 6". I often forget to change tools when planting in the back of the tank and it is just fine, remember there is substrate back there, it isn't reaching over 24" and down 24", only down about 20".

I generally only work in the tank with pumps off during water changes so don't get too soaked usually. Pushing up sleeves doesn't cut it, always change into a short or sleeveless shirt!

My main issue is seeing what I am doing. I really cannot use tools near the bottom of the tank and look through the front pane at the same time so most trimming and planting is done with me looking from above.

I hated the wide bracing on the 100 gallon glass tank and had trouble getting to the center rear. Scratched up my arm all the time too. Dealing with 3 small openings in the acrylic 8' long tank wasn't nearly as bad and the 2 large openings in the 6' 180 are really nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts