The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now I have an aqueon heater. It seems like it does an OK job but it also seems like it is always on. I was thinking about getting a different heater and have the aqueon stored away as a back up. I was looking at a couple different options and I've done a little bit of research but figured I would ask the people of the hobby what everybody else's thoughts are. Aquatop on Amazon are having some great deals for high wattage heaters but not sure how well there made. I have heard about enhim jager but also heard that their qualitie but also heard that their Quality has gone downhill. Or what is people thoughts on the Hydor heaters ?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
What size tank and what size heater are you using? I have 4 aqueon and they work well but in a large tank it is best to use two slightly lower watt than one large.in small tanks one is ok but always have a backup.heaters in general are pretty crappy.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size tank and what size heater are you using? I have 4 aqueon and they work well but in a large tank it is best to use two slightly lower watt than one large.in small tanks one is ok but always have a backup.heaters in general are pretty crappy.
I have a 30g tank with I believe it's 150w maybe a 100w...I'm at work right now so can't see but I know it's either of those..lol ya true that's why I want to grab another put the new in the tank and have the aqueon as a backup

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
What is the room temp? I got the aqueon pro heater in my 40b and works great it is also a 150 watt. If the room is really cold i could see it be on a lot. My room temp is 65 as the low. Tank set to 75. Mine is open top which lets more heat out.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
I currently have 7 tanks going (5g, 8g, 10g, 29g, 29g, 75g, and 90g). I started many of the tanks around 7-8 years ago. I have never used a heater. It's simply not needed.

Consider first the room temperature where the tanks are located. If it's around 70-75, then that's what the water's temperature will naturally gravitate towards. Then add in the temperature of your lighting. Unless you're using LEDs, the lighting will throw off some heat, sometimes a substantial amount of heat. That will serve as a "heater" for the tank. If you use hot lights for a long photoperiod with a canopy, you may find yourself having problems with the water getting too hot. You certainly don't need a heater in that situation.

So I first suggest that you use a thermometer in the tank so you can check the tank's natural temperature without any accessory heater. Check it in the morning just before the lights come on and in the evening just before the lights go off (you can do a midday check, as well). Record this so you can see the pattern. Then you can determine if you need a heater, and if so, how many degrees you need the heater to raise the water's temperature. That will then tell you how powerful a heater you need.

Just know that the idea that all aquariums need a heater is untrue. Let the water temperature tell you what it needs, then fulfill that need. If there is no need, then let it be at that.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the room temp? I got the aqueon pro heater in my 40b and works great it is also a 150 watt. If the room is really cold i could see it be on a lot. My room temp is 65 as the low. Tank set to 75. Mine is open top which lets more heat out.
ya mines not the pro just the regular..my room is about 63 during the night or so..we sleep better when its cold lol..during the day maybe mid 70's or so..my tank is a closed top

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have 7 tanks going (5g, 8g, 10g, 29g, 29g, 75g, and 90g). I started many of the tanks around 7-8 years ago. I have never used a heater. It's simply not needed.

Consider first the room temperature where the tanks are located. If it's around 70-75, then that's what the water's temperature will naturally gravitate towards. Then add in the temperature of your lighting. Unless you're using LEDs, the lighting will throw off some heat, sometimes a substantial amount of heat. That will serve as a "heater" for the tank. If you use hot lights for a long photoperiod with a canopy, you may find yourself having problems with the water getting too hot. You certainly don't need a heater in that situation.

So I first suggest that you use a thermometer in the tank so you can check the tank's natural temperature without any accessory heater. Check it in the morning just before the lights come on and in the evening just before the lights go off (you can do a midday check, as well). Record this so you can see the pattern. Then you can determine if you need a heater, and if so, how many degrees you need the heater to raise the water's temperature. That will then tell you how powerful a heater you need.

Just know that the idea that all aquariums need a heater is untrue. Let the water temperature tell you what it needs, then fulfill that need. If there is no need, then let it be at that.
I am using LED's I do have a glass cover on..during the day 70's or higher..at night 60's or lower.. lights are on for 7 1/2 hours..when I get up at 5am its a little chilly so I am sure if there was no heater the tank would be quite cold..the heater/tank is set to 78

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
I am using LED's I do have a glass cover on..during the day 70's or higher..at night 60's or lower.. lights are on for 7 1/2 hours..when I get up at 5am its a little chilly so I am sure if there was no heater the tank would be quite cold..the heater/tank is set to 78
I agree. But notice that you were able to figure out that you needed a heater that is able to increase the temperature by 18 degrees (60 to 78). Okay, not quite that much since water holds heat well, but you definitely need a more powerful heater. That's different from another person who's nighttime temps never go below 70 degrees with a T5 lighting setup. That person won't ever need a heater.

The point is first discovering whether a heater is needed. And if it is needed, how powerful does it need to be? Does it need to increase the water temp by 2 degrees or 20? That will help in purchasing the proper heater for the tank.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup yup that's correct...but In The end I was just trying to see which of the heater companies I said that people liked, used, durability..things like that from them..so I can have a better mind set on which to pick from instead of from aqueon

·
Registered
479 Posts
Based on your room temp changes, a 150W is probably the minimum you want. If it's only 100W then that is why it is on all the time.

Personally I use Aqueon Pro's, which it sounds like what you have. I find they are significantly better than any of the other 2-3 glass heaters i've tried. I'd say just get another cheap 100 W heater and put them both in the tank. Makes each one work less and gives a back up if one breaks. I also recommend a temperature controller in case one fails so it doesn't roast your fish.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Yup yup that's correct...but In The end I was just trying to see which of the heater companies I said that people liked, used, durability..things like that from them..so I can have a better mind set on which to pick from instead of from aqueon
Thanks, I understand better. Hopefully, you'll get the information you need. :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I understand better. Hopefully, you'll get the information you need.

Thank you.. also don't get me wrong I appreciate all the info you took the time to write! It's people like you on this forum that helps each and everyone of us out with good critical thinking and logical answers!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.